FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: The story of my Delorean exit.

My VIN:    05141

The story of my Delorean exit.

Hello all,

For 12 years I was the proud owner of VIN 05141. And for the same 12 years I was (am) an active member at DMCtalk.
    It provided me lots of information, laughs and entertainment,....

Not many people know about it, but a year ago I said farewell to my sweetheart VIN 05141, I never tought the day would come.

I was en still am proud I owned a Delorean, to have been part of the community and to meet great people on both sides of the Atlantic.
    I went to Delorean events in Holland, Germany, Ireland, Sweden (with my Delorean) and I crossed the Atlantic twice to attend DCS in Gettysburg and Orlando.
    My car was my pride and joy and I was not cheap on its care. Nearly all updates were done. No fooling around myself, everything was done by Delorean EU or Delorean serivce in Belgium.
    It has a SS roofcage, powersteering you name it.

But why sell it?
    I had a serious medical issue 2 years ago and I was hospitalized for a month. The funny thing was, the building where my Delorean housed in its garage was in my sight from my hospital room. It waited there for me to come and get it. But after I got well again, I noticed I wanted to spend more time with my family and a 2 seather is not ideal. Furthermore despite an installation of the newest and softest clutch I had a hard time pushing the clutch, especially in case of a traffic jam I was in trouble.
    Then the city where I live decided to turn it into a low-emission zone. Could be solved by paying an extra yearly tax of 350€. About 5 more cities in Belgium do this and each city would charge this. Accidently turning into a street in a low emisson zone: 350€ fine.
    Talks about equipping every car with GPS systems to charge cars per driven KM did it for me.
    I had to let her go, and perhaps too fast I sold the car which I already regret.

Guess what, this can hardly be a coincidence;
    I never had any issues with the car, it was very reliable. After I sold it I made a last drive. The fan fail relais quit working.
    The day before the pick up I go and get the car from the garage, it would not start, it never happened to me in 12 years. The groundire from the fluelpump made no connection.
    They were fixed but what are the odds.

It now lives in a town just south of Paris, France. I think it got an owner that looks after it.
    I bought a used Mercedes SLK that is very easy to drive, and within the environmental limits for a few years.

I do miss my Delorean. the SLK I will use to attend Delorean happenings. I will go to Eurofest in Belfast in 2021 for sure. I still keep reading this forum, I can still contribute with what I learned after 12 years of ownership.
    Who knows maybe I'll buy another Delorean one day (automatic) but a bit more basic, so that when the cars are no longer roadlegal here, I'll just get rid of it.

If I could turn back the clock I would tell myself not to sell it. Too late now. I will see what the environmentalists will do.
    So this is no goobye, but not being a member anymore of the Delorean community is more painful than I tought. I organized a dinner meet last year in Brussels and I will do that again this year to keep in touch, they all great people.

Take care,
    Jan
    Attached Images

Steering with power

Nothing witty here lest it offend

The day will come for us all. I don't suppose immigration is an option?

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Thanks for sharing Jan. Sorry about you health issues and sad that you had to part with the car. I do worry about the heavy clutch myself. I have minor issues with my left leg and knee and do worry that later in life, it could impact my enjoyment of the car. Until then, I suppose all we can do is enjoy our cars while we can.

Who knows, maybe you'll return to ownership with an automatic someday. Until then, enjoy the SLK.

DeLorean DMC-12 (October 1981)
    Manual transmission. Grooved hood. Grey interior. Rear antenna.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

My VIN:    1086

hi jan,
    ....do not look back but forward and never give up your dreams .....

all the best to you
    andi

My VIN:    5482

Jan,

Sorry to hear about your health issues. I know I haven't been very active with my car in the last few years. I changed jobs and my wife and I welcomed our first child last year. My car sits in need of a handful of repairs and maintenance items. But that's OK. One day I will get to it and enjoy it again. And for you, maybe you could find an automatic so not to have to worry about the clutch. Not sure about the emissions stuff. Here in Texas, if you have an antique vehicle (25+ years old) you don't have to have an emissions inspection. I think if you regret selling it like you've indicated, it's just a matter of time before you acquire another DeLorean.
    Jeff

My VIN:    10003

DELOREAN1.jpg

...Your delorean ?

My VIN:    05141

Yes!
    Isn’t she lovely?

The buyer took her to France with my Belgian licence plate. I took a bit of a risk by doing that but I had the feeling he would do any harm with that and awaiting his French registration he drove around with my licence plate, which I would have done also.
    I hear meanwhile all goes well and the car rins good,...

Steering with power

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Sorry to hear. At least you'll be at Eurofest '21! We all have to make difficult decisions and sometimes sacrifice certain things but it's all for the better for our specific situations. I'm sure you'll be in another automatic D in the future. All the best to you and your family.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry