FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Front Suspension Refurb - good value options?

My VIN:    11596

Front Suspension Refurb - good value options?

Hi guys,

Looking at doing a full rebuild of my front suspension this spring. Then, probably rear suspension next spring.

I have all original arms, bushings, and ball joints all around, and while I could probably get them cleaned up and refurbished, I kind of want to just replace them so I know it's all good for another 20 years haha.

Already done many years ago - Grady rebuilt steering rack, front lowering springs, Tinnerstedt steering linkage, Monroe shocks from Marty Maier.

What do I want? Goals - make it look like new, no more reliability worry, stiffen up the front end

I know there are stainless steel options but I don't think I want to spend that much for the ultimate on all the parts. I'm more interested in good value.

Looking at DeLorean GO....
    AVO shock set $649.99
    D-Arm aluminium LCA's with new ball joints and bushings installed - $1283 for the pair
    Poly ARB to LCA bushings - $47
    Upper Arm - probably do stainless from DPI, includes upper ball joints - $695
    Steering knuckle, spindle, and roll bar - can get refinished locally
    Brakes - brake pad kit from one of the vendors, Pretty sure my rotors are good (no brake pulsing), I can rebuild the calipers etc no problem

Also considering the crossbrace that goes in the trunk as well as the LCA braces....

Any comments on this approach? Anything better out there for the $$$? I don't do racing or track, it's just my fun weekend car and this thing is about 40 years old. Time to put a few bucks into it again, I think.

Oh and what kind of spring compressor do I need to borrow?
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post

Also considering the crossbrace that goes in the trunk
    I highly recommend that crossbrace. It gives the car a solid feeling during hard turns.

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    I highly recommend that crossbrace. It gives the car a solid feeling during hard turns.
    Any particular version of the brace you recommend? Which vendor?
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Any particular version of the brace you recommend? Which vendor?
    I got mine from DGo.

My VIN:    5312

DeLorean prts Northwest also has a different designed brace thats non instrusive and goes under the carpet, and does not require cutting your carpet or the board
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    DeLorean prts Northwest also has a different designed brace thats non instrusive and goes under the carpet, and does not require cutting your carpet or the board
    No carpet cutting required for the DGo unit. It will leave a small hump in the carpet, but it’s barely noticeable.

Since you are looking for value in stiffening up the DMC, I'd do the entire car at once and leave the ancillary parts for later upgrades instead of doing the front, then the rear of the car.

Change out all the suspension bushings.
    - add polyurethane at all the swaybar connections to firm up the front end movement

Change out the ball joints and tie rods.

Go with polyurethane or fabricate solid steering rack mounts.

Run a coilover suspension to replace the springs/shocks as they provide adjustability in ride height and stiffness. Which will make a significant improvement in the handling department and reducing slop.

The upper control arm is a decent design and can be modified to add some negative camber for better front end grip. The lower control arm can be boxed in for more rigidity. Both of these can be performed by a competent fabricator.

This will transform the grip and feel of the car while not breaking the bank.

The aluminum LCAs look beautiful and the LCA stiffeners and cross-brace all look to be very nice pieces, all of which add to cleaning up the flex of the front suspension. But I wouldn’t consider them to be a necessity when there is a budget in mind.

My VIN:    2805

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Hi guys,

Looking at doing a full rebuild of my front suspension this spring. Then, probably rear suspension next spring.

I have all original arms, bushings, and ball joints all around, and while I could probably get them cleaned up and refurbished, I kind of want to just replace them so I know it's all good for another 20 years haha.

Already done many years ago - Grady rebuilt steering rack, front lowering springs, Tinnerstedt steering linkage, Monroe shocks from Marty Maier.

What do I want? Goals - make it look like new, no more reliability worry, stiffen up the front end

I know there are stainless steel options but I don't think I want to spend that much for the ultimate on all the parts. I'm more interested in good value.

Looking at DeLorean GO....
    AVO shock set $649.99
    D-Arm aluminium LCA's with new ball joints and bushings installed - $1283 for the pair
    Poly ARB to LCA bushings - $47
    Upper Arm - probably do stainless from DPI, includes upper ball joints - $695
    Steering knuckle, spindle, and roll bar - can get refinished locally
    Brakes - brake pad kit from one of the vendors, Pretty sure my rotors are good (no brake pulsing), I can rebuild the calipers etc no problem

Also considering the crossbrace that goes in the trunk as well as the LCA braces....

Any comments on this approach? Anything better out there for the $$$? I don't do racing or track, it's just my fun weekend car and this thing is about 40 years old. Time to put a few bucks into it again, I think.

Oh and what kind of spring compressor do I need to borrow?

I just replaced my front and rear suspension with DPI's coil-over kit. Very happy with it, both front and rear are height adjustable for ride and they have 18 settings for softness/stiffness. The kit included new aluminum LCA's and additional hardware and bushings. DPI offers a coil-over set just for the front as well. DPI also offers just the LCA's for $995. The kit is pricey, but is well made.

I was originally going to go with the AVO shocks, but decided on the adjustability of the coil-overs. One nice benefit (but ultimately not the reason why I chose them) is that once you get the front springs out, you don't have to worry about compressing the new ones to install nor do you need a spring compressor if you have to take anything apart in the future.

Hey Nate, thanks for that recommendation, in fact I was just reading an older thread where I saw a link to the DPI front coilover kit. That does look like a really good option and I think I'll do that this spring and then the rears in the fall or next spring. I know it would be best to do it all at once but I'm trying to budget this and spread it out a bit.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Let us know if you have any questions on our product offerings. We do offer the split up option to purchase the front and rear prorated at a later date if required.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast