FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Proper voltage range for fuel pump

Proper voltage range for fuel pump

I probed my fuel pump harness while the engine was running, and measured 11.6 - 11.9 volts. Is this acceptable?

My VIN:    03572

I tested an original type pump and it still provided 75 PSI down to 7 volts. Did not test the new GM types but I would think 11 volts should be OK. What I do is test the + voltage at the RPM relay with the meter ground on the battery (neg). Then test the + voltage on the pump and the difference is the + voltage drop in the harness and connectors. Then measure your neg pump voltage still referancing the battery neg. and that is the neg drop of the harness and inertia switch.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Thanks. I should have mentioned that it is a GM style fuel pump. I haven’t had any problems but with so much time on my hands I figured I’d run some of the tests I’ve been meaning to do. My concern is running the pump for many consecutive hours at a voltage that’s too low.

I think it's normal to drop 1 volt or a little more. When I was testing with the old pump I found that two pin connector at the fuel pump was dropping almost 1 volt. You may need a small pin to punch through the wire insulation to narrow down what voltage drops you have.
    Dave M vin 03572

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

FWIW- The specs I've seen for late GM style pumps said, "1 Volt total...", or, "0.50V max per side". So, I'd check the negative side too...

Thanks guys. I’ll take some more measurements today.

My VIN:    6409

Club(s):   (DOC-UK) (DOI)

I was getting 9-10 volts on my original style pump, so renewed and cleaned the wiring at the 5 (iirc) different connections from the fuse to pump.

after that was able to hear the pump run faster and quieter. Got the voltage up to 12.2v.

The biggest voltage drop I noticed was on the power side of the circuit rather than the ground side but that was just on my car. Have not checked another car for comparison.

I was gonna try and get some weather pack connectors for the mini loom to pump at the least, to see if that could help.

Shane
    Last edited by cis6409; 04-29-2020 at 09:46 AM.
    only from the past can we choose the correct path for the future...

Quote Originally Posted by cis6409 View Post
    I was getting 9-10 volts on my original style pump, so renewed and cleaned the wiring at the 5 different connections from the fuse to pump.

after that was able to hear the pump run faster and quieter. Got the voltage up to 12.2v.

The biggest voltage drop I noticed was on the power side of the circuit rather than the ground side.
    +1
    I seem to remember the wiring at the pump was a pretty small gauge. Most of the wiring in our car is 19 AWG which is a weird number but it the British wiring. I did some rewiring using 14 AWG and since I have my battery disconnect to work if the inertia switch trips I could just run the pump ground to the frame.
    Dave M vin 03572

More tests today using multi meter

Engine off, all electrical off:

Battery alone: 12.5 volts
    Negative on battery, positive at RPM power wire= 12.5 volts
    Negative on battery, positive on the fuel pump ground wire= .78 (I think I had key on for this one)

Engine on:

Positive on fuel pump positive wire, negative on battery= 13.0
    Positive on fuel pump ground wire, negative on battery= .82

Positive on fuel pump positive wire, negative on fuel pump ground wire= varies between 11.82 and 12.02

So it seems like approx 1 volt loss on ground side.

Edit: alternator charging at 14.2 volts, measured on positive bolt in engine bay
    Last edited by CFI; 04-29-2020 at 10:51 AM.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

With the pump running:
    Put your negative lead on the battery (-) and positive lead on the pump's ground wire. Record.
    Put your positive lead on the battery (+) and negative lead on the pump's feed wire. Record.
    Add together.

EDIT: The .78V you got earlier would indicate a problem on the ground side. (According to Chevy manuals anyway;-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast