FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: What is this part in the door related to the window mechanism?

My VIN:    10XXX

Club(s):   (DCF)

What is this part in the door related to the window mechanism?

My driver's side window started to have trouble going up or down, so I took off the top panel of the door. I see this bracket sort of thing, shown in 2 pictures below. It is not labeled in my parts manual, but I think it is what the red arrow is pointing to. It is not bolted to anything, and twists around when the window motor is activated. Can someone tell me where it is supposed to be fastened? My hope is that once put back in place, the window will work correctly as it always has.

IMG_2015.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

window3.jpg
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL
    1982 automatic, VIN 10XXX, grey int

Previous: VIN 5983, VIN 3670
    Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

My VIN:    11789

Quote Originally Posted by SBL View Post
    My driver's side window started to have trouble going up or down, so I took off the top panel of the door. I see this bracket sort of thing, shown in 2 pictures below. It is not labeled in my parts manual, but I think it is what the red arrow is pointing to. It is not bolted to anything, and twists around when the window motor is activated. Can someone tell me where it is supposed to be fastened? My hope is that once put back in place, the window will work correctly as it always has.

IMG_2015.jpg

IMG_2014.jpg

window3.jpg
    That is the bracket that moves up and down when you "power" the window. That bracket seems to have come off the window carrier and that is the reason why your window will not go up n down.
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

My VIN:    10XXX

Club(s):   (DCF)

Isn't the part that attaches to the carrier the one with 2 holes in it at the top of the "spiral" as shown in the picture below? The bracket that seems to be flopping around in my door seems to be something that holds the spiral in place.

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 5.22.57 PM.jpg
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL
    1982 automatic, VIN 10XXX, grey int

Previous: VIN 5983, VIN 3670
    Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

The red arrow in photo 3 points to the "bracket" that's attached to the tube of the window motor assembly. The bracket is there to stop the window carrier at the bottom of its intended travel.

It is part of the OE window motor assembly. One half of that bracket should be spot-welded to the lift tube. It doesn't connect directly to the door assembly.

The window motor assy should work just like it used to after you put it all back together. Or work better, assuming you addressed the reason it wasn't going up or down smoothly.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior