FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Installing a Coolant Bleeder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    5625

Installing a Coolant Bleeder

I am going to be installing a coolant bleeder (engine coolant bleed) from Delorean Go soon. When I unscrew the bleeder nipple from the thermostat housing will coolant go all over the place or no? When finished, I am going to do a coolant flush on the car since it hasn’t been performed since I’ve owned it. I just need to know If I need to pull the visqueen out prior to starting the job.

Also, If I install a self bleeder in the back, would I also need to install one up front at the radiator to “complete” the job per say?

Thanks in advance.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    4792

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

You'll lose a little bit, but not much, as the bleeder screw is very near the top of the system.

What would be the need for adding an additional bleed valve so low in the system? Seems unnecessary.

If your water pump is working, and coolant flow is relatively unobstructed, air should have no trouble moving to the top of the system.

If you’re going to install a bleeder set, go all the way and install both front and back. Ethan is correct in that a properly functioning system shouldn’t need help. But this is a troublesome system on the DeLorean, and there’s no harm in improving your odds.

My brother struggled with random engine overheats for months. His mechanic was unfamiliar with the DeLorean and tried his best to bleed it, but as those who have done it know you can’t bleed a DeLorean like a “normal” vehicle. It was very frustrating for him as the car would run perfect one day, then overheat the next. Toby’s bleed kit solved the problem once and for all.

My VIN:    2805

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I originally just installed the back portion of the bleeder kit since that bleeds "automatically" and that's what I was worried about. However, I just installed the front portion this weekend and it really makes bleeding the radiator much easier. The front isn't "automatic" by bleeding all the time, it just allows you to bleed the radiator very easily by putting a hose on the valve and opening it. No more trying to get the upper hose off to bleed and coolant spraying everywhere. I got Toby's kit and it included a clear hose for bleeding the front which is very handy to see when all the air is out.

My VIN:    10907

If you're planning on flushing the coolant anyway, why not drain the system before you start the install?

I just did Toby's kit recently, the rear bleeder now comes with a valve you can turn on and off to auto-bleed or run normally, useful if you want to autobleed after a flush but still keep an eye out for potential issues.

My VIN:    5625

Hey guys/gals -

I appreciate all the feedback. I really wanted to put off the coolant flush for a little bit, so thats why I was asking if it was going to lose some when I pulled the thermostat nipple. The interesting part was that when I was unscrewing the thermostat nipple, the only thing that escaped was air. Not a drop of coolant. I’m not exactly sure why unless the system was just low on coolant. After I was done with the bleeder install I added some coolant to the overflow bottle to make it about 3/4 full. I guess I’ll go for a drive and monitor it.

I am glad however that some believe I don’t really need the bleed off of the radiator. I still have the original radiator and would prefer not to mess with it at all if I don’t have to.
    Last edited by Trstno1; 04-30-2020 at 09:25 PM.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....