FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Diagnostic plug 101065 - can I remove it entirely?

My VIN:    3937

Diagnostic plug 101065 - can I remove it entirely?

So this diagnostic plug on the Houston parts page says it isn't necessary.

https://store.delorean.com/p-6859-diagnostic-plug.aspx

Mine has been in my car and might work, or it might not. Never had the means to test it and don't really care to.

I'd like to remove it entirely and the reason for that is the pain in the butt factor of trying to get that plug bracket AND the dipstick tube bracket (on an automatic) AND the ground wire for the diagnostic plug all screwed into the engine block with the same bolt while not being able to see what you are doing and having to reach around to the back of the engine. Yea, suck it I say to that plug.

So for now it is almost removed, but the connection that goes down to some spot hard to see, I'm not sure if unplugging it is going to cause some stir (kinda like not having a bulb in the battery warning light will fubar your alternator charging).

Is there any harm in removing it entirely? And for that connection, can I just pull straight out on it to remove it? It is the one that plugs into this pickup support: https://store.delorean.com/p-6861-pick-up-support.aspx but it isn't clear to me if that little clamp and screw tightening contraption has to be loosened first?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    03572

I removed mine. Actually my PO had that metal plate just hanging onto the exhaust. The connector pins were all corroded anyway from water and heat.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3937

Thanks Dave. Do you happen to know if that lower connector just pulls out? Or do I need to reach in there somehow and unscrew that "pickup support" first?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Thanks Dave. Do you happen to know if that lower connector just pulls out? Or do I need to reach in there somehow and unscrew that "pickup support" first?
    I don't remember. It's been 12 years since I did it. I just pulled the whole bracket off or cut it off if it was part of the resistor bracket. I now don't have any resistor bracket since I run the GM ignition module.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    6409

Club(s):   (DOC-UK) (DOI)

The flywheel signal pickup support is supposed to be loosened by the clamp screw on one side, but if yours is like mine you won't need to.
    The pick up connector will just pull out from the rubber clamp.,being hard and old and exposed to the elements it should come out easily.

No harm in removing the diagnostic plug, but for me I find it s a handy access point to monitor dwell, rpm etc for diagnostics and tuning, although saying that you can use the multiplug connectors and coil to get the same readings if the plug is removed or not working.

Shane
    Last edited by cis6409; 05-02-2020 at 08:40 AM.
    only from the past can we choose the correct path for the future...

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    So this diagnostic plug on the Houston parts page says it isn't necessary.

https://store.delorean.com/p-6859-diagnostic-plug.aspx

Mine has been in my car and might work, or it might not. Never had the means to test it and don't really care to.

I'd like to remove it entirely and the reason for that is the pain in the butt factor of trying to get that plug bracket AND the dipstick tube bracket (on an automatic) AND the ground wire for the diagnostic plug all screwed into the engine block with the same bolt while not being able to see what you are doing and having to reach around to the back of the engine. Yea, suck it I say to that plug.

So for now it is almost removed, but the connection that goes down to some spot hard to see, I'm not sure if unplugging it is going to cause some stir (kinda like not having a bulb in the battery warning light will fubar your alternator charging).

Is there any harm in removing it entirely? And for that connection, can I just pull straight out on it to remove it? It is the one that plugs into this pickup support: https://store.delorean.com/p-6861-pick-up-support.aspx but it isn't clear to me if that little clamp and screw tightening contraption has to be loosened first?
    Hi Jonathan,

Here is a picture of how that connection is fastened to the protecting plate (which is itself fastened to the transmission by 2 x 7mm (11mm socket) screws.

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10270

I'd just cut the cable and leave the plug body behind, otherwise you'll have an open hole in the access plate.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You can remove the plug but terminate the dwell wire and the + 12 volt wire so they don't touch anything. About the only useful thing there is the dwell pin to set the duty cycle for the Lambda. Rarely used but handy. It was a good idea, a one point connection to monitor the car's health. A very early forerunner of the OBD port.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I don't remember. It's been 12 years since I did it. I just pulled the whole bracket off or cut it off if it was part of the resistor bracket. I now don't have any resistor bracket since I run the GM ignition module.
    What is this GM module you speak of? Is it to just get rid of the resistor? Does the new GM module also replace the DeLorean ignition module? Interested.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    What is this GM module you speak of? Is it to just get rid of the resistor? Does the new GM module also replace the DeLorean ignition module? Interested.
    Yes it replaces the stock ignition ECU but you have to build the unit into a box. Here is my thread on it.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...-operation-HEI
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast