FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Experience purchasing from DMC

My VIN:    1465

Experience purchasing from DMC

Hi.
    I’m new to the forum and I was wondering if anyone, who has purchased a D from DMC, could share their experience.

It’s probably a long shot that I’d be able to convince my wife (boss ) to let me pay $45 – $50K. However, purchasing from DMC seems to be the lowest risk option.

I guess what I'm asking is if it's correct to assume that purchasing a daily driver from DMC is the best option to avoid (most) surprise, knowing that the car has been thoroughly inspected and worked on by Delorean experts?

Thanks in advance.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Referring to your wife as "the boss" pretty much disqualifies you from DeLorean ownership. Run away, run hard, run fast. Get a Corolla.

If however, you were joking, a vendor is the safest route because they do include a warranty and you will pay up for that but depending on your location, the distance to get your car for warranty repair may be more trouble than it's worth. Vendors have taken a different route in sales than they have in the past. They will now sale "As Is" with a list of all that's needed or they will sell turn key ready with warranty.

I will now sit back and wait for David or Vegas to write a book with the same info anyone with a lick of common sense would have such as nobody can predict a 40 yr old car's future, oe parts vs. newer retrofitted parts, blah blah blah.

In the end you will have to have repairs if you intend on driving it even sparingly. Will the fun of a DeLorean outweigh the hassle of repairs? Will it be fun to do the repairs yourself vs. paying a local shop that may have limited experience and a tech with a bad attitude...only you can answer that.

That said, they are not rocket science to work on.
    Last edited by Michael; 05-04-2020 at 12:28 AM.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I bought my car from DMCFL in 2013 as a restoration candidate, as that is what I was looking for. ("As is" as Michael described). I paid a little more for it than a "rough" car that I bid on previously. What I got was a very solid, complete, one owner, well cared for, southern, gas flap car in need of a refresh.

I thank the auction gods often that I didn't win that rough car, and I'm thankful that I decided to go and check out what DMC had, as I certainly got much more for the $2,000 difference then I realized at the time. Now, price structure has changed since then, but the principle has not.

I spent a fair sum on the high level restoration and lots of time bringing this car back. I know you're looking for a different ownership experience, but the point is that you'll likely find a better car at DMC for the reasons you stated.

Here's the car as selected at DMCFL in 2013:

Here is the car after my refresh:

Good luck with your decision and search.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 05-04-2020 at 07:57 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

I didn’t purchase my car directly from one of the vendors, but my car was rebuilt by DMCF during the previous owners time with the car. For me, this purchase proved to be a great decision. All of the standard DeLorean problems were taken care of. In almost 2 years of ownership, driving the car year round (roughly 5,000 - 6,000 miles per year) the car has never let me down. I’ve had a few issues that popped up that needed attention, but the fact is the car has never left me stranded on the side of the road.

My brother, on the other hand, was focused more on saving money. He bought a cheap car that needed work. The problem is he’s not a hands on kind of guy. So his car was perpetually at the shop (who had no experience working on DeLoreans) as they tried to “fix” one problem at a time. He eventually sold the car out of frustration.

You want a reliable car that you can get in, turn the key and go? Buy a car that’s already been sorted out. That doesn’t guarantee anything, but it’s a great starting point. I guarantee that if my brother purchased a better example he’d still have it parked in his garage.

My VIN:    2706

If your gonna buy a car through DMC I would recommend Mike and Suzy at Midwest. They are good Honest people. I cant say that about all the DMC vendors . Experiences vary greatly throughout the DMC franchise. Mike will get you a car that meets your needs and budget. They remain the only DMC franchise I do business with.

My VIN:    10921

I sent you a PM.

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Am an owner since late 2005...

It's a longer story for another day, but I have recently been to DMC-FL, and here is what I saw.
    • I got an extended tour of their shop, their current cars in service, and met the staff there.
    • The Shop Manager is a long time local Florida DeLorean owner, restorer, and overall great guy: Robert G.
    • Robert is very, very knowledgeable on the intricacies and details of these cars, and guides his mechanics as such.
    • The shop is well organized, and there were various Deloreans in different conditions, to repair and restore.
    • I have seen the results of their work and the For Sale cars look phenomenal.
    • They build and repair to stock running configurations (but with some modern and reliable upgrades), and they are probably more reliable than you would think, for a car from the early 80s.

So if you are considering DMC to purchase a car, and DMC-FL is an option, it is recommended, especially for the price range and expectations that you are shopping for.

Caveat/Realistically: As a daily driver, expect issues, goes with the age of these cars - but a car from DMC would be a good start for this type of expected performance.

Best wishes.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    5625

What did you do to fix the body line from the drivers door to the LFF? The pic from when you bought it looks just like the way mine does now. The newest pic with the tint, it appears that gap in the body line is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    I bought my car from DMCFL in 2013 as a restoration candidate, as that is what I was looking for. ("As is" as Michael described). I paid a little more for it than a "rough" car that I bid on previously. What I got was a very solid, complete, one owner, well cared for, southern, gas flap car in need of a refresh.

I thank the auction gods often that I didn't win that rough car, and I'm thankful that I decided to go and check out what DMC had, as I certainly got much more for the $2,000 difference then I realized at the time. Now, price structure has changed since then, but the principle has not.

I spent a fair sum on the high level restoration and lots of time bringing this car back. I know you're looking for a different ownership experience, but the point is that you'll likely find a better car at DMC for the reasons you stated.

Here's the car as selected at DMCFL in 2013:

Here is the car after my refresh:

Good luck with your decision and search.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    What did you do to fix the body line from the drivers door to the LFF? The pic from when you bought it looks just like the way mine does now. The newest pic with the tint, it appears that gap in the body line is gone.
    Could be new door seals.

My VIN:    <2000

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Hi. Yes CFI is correct. It was fixed with all new door seals and then a striker pin adjustment.

Funny enough, when I first went out to look at the car, the driver's door was stuck shut due to misalignment of the pins. The sales rep was apologetic, but I assured him that I was not hung up by minor things like that. After all, I was looking for a car to restore. I was focused on the frame, absence of PO hacking, and everything being there (Spare tire, manual, access covers, tool kit. etc). It was all there, and no hacking. When I bent down to look at the frame on all 4 corners, I was immediately sold on the car and the value for what they were asking.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast