FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: SS Front lower arm Support Kit (Inner/Outer Washers for Bushings) 1 side only?

SS Front lower arm Support Kit (Inner/Outer Washers for Bushings) 1 side only?

Hey guys

I am in the middle of revamping the front suspension and was getting ready to install the SS Front lower control arm support kit from Deloreango.
    (I believe that Delorean Europe actually makes them)
    https://www.deloreango.com/pub/media...upport-kit.jpg

I noticed that only 1 side (Wider side/Strut Tower side) has both inner and outer washers for each bushing on the brackets.
    The opposite side that attaches to the LCA/bolt for strut only has only outer washers for each bushing on the brackets.

I recall awhile back fellow members complaining about the bushings coming off or sliding around and having to add more washers or thicker washers.
    Curious what others have done or what they're experience has been.

Also it's been a bit of a pain, to install these brackets properly and get everything lined up.
    I think I may have installed them upside down, looking at photos of other member's installation.
    Looks like the more rounded part of the bracket ends need to face down and not up.

Also see that most people run the bolts through the brackets with nuts facing towards front of car.... but some vice versa...... must be a personal preference.

Thanks
    Dave M

I also came across some posts on the FB-Delorean Technical Forums, where Bill Robertson recommends putting suitable backing washers (thicker hardened alloy steel) between the bushings and the shock tower to prevent bushings from moving out of brackets as they move up and down. AND LONGER Bolts to compensate for thicker (backing washers).

Supposedly others have had issues with the thin SS washers that come with the brackets/arms.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

The Robertson method is the best band aid for the flawed design. It will turn your front end into the equivalent of a early 20th century. dreadnought.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Thanks Delorean Industries.

Makes sense. I found the actual thread highlighting all the washer woes and Bill's recommendation for hardware

Wish I had seen/known this before purchasing the kit so I could order without hardware.

Now I will need all new hardware:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...ertson+washers

Thanks
    D

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    The Robertson method is the best band aid for the flawed design. It will turn your front end into the equivalent of a early 20th century. dreadnought.
    ? don't get it. They do work for the price.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by n_tensetuning View Post
    I also came across some posts on the FB-Delorean Technical Forums, where Bill Robertson recommends putting suitable backing washers (thicker hardened alloy steel) between the bushings and the shock tower to prevent bushings from moving out of brackets as they move up and down. AND LONGER Bolts to compensate for thicker (backing washers).

Supposedly others have had issues with the thin SS washers that come with the brackets/arms.
    I think most of us running Ed’s brackets are doing this to prevent the bushings from walking out. I’ve had this setup for years.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Thanks Patrick

Yes, that unfortunately seems to be a major problem that many faced with using the washers that came with the kit.

I actually ended up using the big thick washers used on the upper control arms for the inner bushing side of the support bracket that rests against the shock tower.
    Perfect OD size : )

Now I just need to order more 2 sets of those thicker washers and all will be well.

It's a pity that this is a well known problem and documented everywhere, but yet the kit is still sold with these thin @ ss washers.

D

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by n_tensetuning View Post
    Thanks Patrick

Yes, that unfortunately seems to be a major problem that many faced with using the washers that came with the kit.

I actually ended up using the big thick washers used on the upper control arms for the inner bushing side of the support bracket that rests against the shock tower.
    Perfect OD size : )

Now I just need to order more 2 sets of those thicker washers and all will be well.

It's a pity that this is a well known problem and documented everywhere, but yet the kit is still sold with these thin @ ss washers.

D
    Here are photos when we installed mine back in 2010.

Patrick C.
    VIN 1880