FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Side mirror stabilizer pegs - how to for installing?

My VIN:    3937

Side mirror stabilizer pegs - how to for installing?

I bought a couple of these side mirror stabilizer pegs and want to put them in.

https://www.deloreango.com/ca/mirror...liser-peg.html

Really just my driver's side mirror. It's not the whole housing that's loose, that's actually fairly solid and doesn't move at all unless I move it myself.

It's just the mirror glass itself and the contraption underneath that has quite a bit of looseness in it and you can see it moving when driving. I recall when I got my car that this mirror's glass was not on very well. I didn't think to take pictures back then, but I know I saw chunks of the previous piece of mirror glass behind there with the new glass just stuck on top of the old. I suspect it is just on there with tape or some adhesive.

Any advice for lifting off that piece of mirror glass without breaking it and getting at the back mechanism to see what the stabilizer pegs look like? I thought I saw reference to using a heat gun to slowly let that mirror glass free itself and then everything is accessible just like that. I was under the impression I can do this small job without taking the whole mirror off the car (from the three screws/nuts that you get at from behind the A pillar area).

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I bought a couple of these side mirror stabilizer pegs and want to put them in.

https://www.deloreango.com/ca/mirror...liser-peg.html

Really just my driver's side mirror. It's not the whole housing that's loose, that's actually fairly solid and doesn't move at all unless I move it myself.

It's just the mirror glass itself and the contraption underneath that has quite a bit of looseness in it and you can see it moving when driving. I recall when I got my car that this mirror's glass was not on very well. I didn't think to take pictures back then, but I know I saw chunks of the previous piece of mirror glass behind there with the new glass just stuck on top of the old. I suspect it is just on there with tape or some adhesive.

Any advice for lifting off that piece of mirror glass without breaking it and getting at the back mechanism to see what the stabilizer pegs look like? I thought I saw reference to using a heat gun to slowly let that mirror glass free itself and then everything is accessible just like that. I was under the impression I can do this small job without taking the whole mirror off the car (from the three screws/nuts that you get at from behind the A pillar area).
    You’re going to have a hell of a time getting good access to remove the mirror glass while the mirror holder is still on the car. It’s easy to remove, def worth it.
    Once you have the glass off (via heat gun, patience, and a delicate hand), correct, it is all right there staring at you.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    6472

You don't need to take the mirror assembly out. I've removed the side mirror glass on both sides to replace them with the convex ones. Was probably one of the easiest jobs I've done on the car. As you said, just use a heat gun, and slowly/gently pry it off. Once you get all the adhesive off, you'll be able to see how things connect inside, it's pretty straightforward. I believe there's a screw in the middle that you can tighten for the mirror assembly.

My VIN:    3937

My mirrors do this, so I think I should have plenty good access.

D049B576-0945-463F-9840-10C4711ED990.jpgAEFC5DA9-BCFE-4B1E-8E18-29DC7AFBB280.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    My mirrors do this, so I think I should have plenty good access.

D049B576-0945-463F-9840-10C4711ED990.jpgAEFC5DA9-BCFE-4B1E-8E18-29DC7AFBB280.jpg

I’ve owned mine over 10 years and never even tried to move the mirrors forward, only backward...
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    3771

Hmmm, looks like a copy/paste of my design:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?16...l=1#post232897

If it really is, the "spring" would probably make the peg sit a bit too tight in it's socket. I'd also print it other way round (lying on a long side) - otherwise the spring would be prone to cracking between the layers.

Regarding replacing the mirror glass...what do you all recommend to use with the heat gun? Just a steady gloved hand and pull it out? Or does wire help? And how much heat are we talking about?

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    Regarding replacing the mirror glass...what do you all recommend to use with the heat gun? Just a steady gloved hand and pull it out? Or does wire help? And how much heat are we talking about?
    Myself I used a hairdryer on high and some old gift and credit cards as wages. Slowly but surely it will come off.

Dave B.

My VIN:    10207

Lightbulb Small flat screwdriver

I installed the Deloreana heated convex exd. mirrors, and would recommend the same for anyone. They're awesome.

I got the old mirrors off using just af small flat screwdriver and wiggling it in between the mirror glue and the mirror backing plate.
    I didn't use a heat gun for fear of damaging the mirror housing. (A fear which seems to be unfouded, based on everyone elses recommandations.)

For access I suggest running the powermirrors all the way to the right for drivers side, left for pass. side, and then flipping the mirror housing forward, like this, if you are not removing the mirror housing from the car:
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b4.jpg
    Last edited by DrWin; 03-20-2021 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Smiley malfunction
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

I did mine last year, and it was a royal pain in the ass. Yes, getting them off was straightforward enough with a heatgun, but I had to remove all the sticky foam from the backs, which took a while. Then
    carefully cutting double-sided tape to fit. The worst part was getting the "floppy" pegs to fit back into the motors; you can just about manage this if the door is 1/2 way up. And unfortunately, I forgot
    to tighten the driver's side screw all the way, so it's a bit floppy.

Aside from all that, the hortizontal adjustment on passenger side doesn't work (I did test the motor). I suspect wiring in one of the doors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast