FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stereo/nav/GPS/USB Suggestions

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Stereo/nav/GPS/USB Suggestions

Im moving toward finally putting my car back together this summer, which includes a new stereo...so Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a sub $200 unit that has
    gps, usb (for ipod n stuff), backup cam, dishwasher...you know..the basics..oh and has to fit a single DIN.

Ive seen a couple on Amazon (off brand, of course).

Yeah, I know the screens will block the center vents, but Im still working out my design for a thing that will eliviate that.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The choices change all the time, it's hard to keep up with what is available. Go to Crutchfield and pick their brains for ideas. Figure on replacing the speakers and the wiring too. USB is kind of passe, everything is going towards Bluetooth unless you want to use it for power to charge something. Satellite radio is nice and so is nav but you can get some of that stuff through your phone too.
    David Teitelbaum

I already replaced the speakers and wiring.

I like usb so I can plug my ipod or phone in, rather than run the bateries down using bluetooth, plus I dont have to worry about setting up pairing..hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I went with a double-DIN Pioneer unit with CarPlay (and Android Auto, and Bluetooth, etc)bfor my iPhone, but I plan on upgrading next year to one with wireless CarPlay and putting an inductive charger somewhere to charge my phone when it needs it. I’m waiting for the not very-cheap DMH-WC6600NEX to both ship and drop in price so I can justify it.

I did a write up on how I moved my center console vents, if you’re interested: http://www.tmproductions.com/repairs...-radio-install An important detail about the Pioneer is that it’s deep, and I had to build a new air distributor box so it would fit properly.

— Joe

Ive though about moving the ducts, and may sometime in the future. but for now Im gonna leave that as is and make a non destructive device to vent around a screen.
    I have a single din plate for my car, so thats why I'm looking for that.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I’d say that’s a good way to go. The unit I want has a floating screen separate from the main unit, so you can mount it pretty much anywhere, but it’s not in the $200 range (or, you know, actually shopping).

Are you thinking of one with a flip up screen, or just skipping the screen and going with a simpler, more traditional single DIN unit? I’m mostly just curious; I don’t really have any useful suggestions in that regard, unfortunately.

— Joe

I saw one with an adjustable screen for around $280, but it wasnt removable or anything. It would be cool to be able to mount the screen on top of the center. Have a link to the one you mention?

Im looking at getting one with a flip out screen. Yeah I could use phone for gps and that, just rather have it all in one thing.

Brands and models change all the time..its hard to tell whats decent and whats junk..used to be jvc, pioneer and a few others...now I think its all chinese stuff with names like hikiti (yeah, i saw that on amazon..lol)
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Heads up, I was reading about bluetooth and there is a chance older stereos might not pair with newer phones even though its supposed to be backwards compatible. I would get one with as many input options as possible to future proof yourself if you can.

I plan on converting to a double din and rearrange the headlights and ac controls, but I'm so backlogged on projects I probably won't get to it until next spring. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Oh, and they do make rearview mirrors with cameras and screens if you want to go that route.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Seen the mirrors with backup and that. Think I'll stick with a fancy screen that'll be obsolete in 3 years..hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast