FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Rattle between top of windshield and t-panel

Rattle between top of windshield and t-panel

I've had a wind rattle on my car for awhile now whenever i'm going over 50 mph. I finally decided to do something about it an noticed the t-panel was bouncy when I pressed down on the drivers side/windshield section. I took the header panel off the top of the windshield and noticed the t-panel can bounce pretty freely. Is there supposed to be some foam up in here? What have other done in the same situation?

My VIN:    15275

yes

just use foam tape from the hardware store.. the closed cell kind works best I believe

My VIN:    Midproduction

Are you sure it's not your wiper fluid hose flapping against the wiper arm?

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    Are you sure it's not your wiper fluid hose flapping against the wiper arm?
    I want to say I'm positive it isn't that, but I'll double check.

My VIN:    Midproduction

The wiper fluid hose flapping with the wind is the only rattle I've found up in the windshield area. It's visible very minor (barely noticeable) but you'll hear it if it's loose for sure. I don't see how you'd get air under your T-panel to where it would flap around like that, unless your header panel is bulged up like a scoop. As for the foam between the T-panel and roof - you want just enough to where the T-panel is raised to line up with the doors when closed.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    Is there supposed to be some foam up in here? What have other done in the same situation?
    Yes, a large section of foam was added to the bottom of the t panel at the factory. It covers the entire center section.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It deteriorates over time allowing the Tee section to drop. When that happens the doors rub on it when they open and close. The fix is to replace the foam. Also make sure it is centered so the gap is equal on both sides to the tops of the doors. Careful with the sharp edges.
    David Teitelbaum