FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A/C Compressor

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

A/C Compressor

Something is up with my current compressor. The AC is COLD but the compressor makes all kinds of banging and clanking noises while running and even brings my engine to a halt if it's engaged and I drop the RPMs to idle. While I would love to upgrade to a brand new SD7H15 compressor, I thought I'd see what you guys might have out there first.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The problem may not be the compressor. Too much refrigerant or any air in the system may be the problem. It could also be low on oil. Time to go to an A/C shop.
    David Teitelbaum

Anything is possible but considering the history I wouldn't mind changing the compressor out especially if I have to open the system. I have access to a recovery machine, vacuum, etc. The entire system (hoses, condensor, evap, dryer) was replaced a few years ago minus the compressor. The oil was changed and measured [and yes it is the correct type for 134], the refrigerant level is still good and the system was vacuumed down prior to filling. The compressor sat for a long time on my garage floor while I was doing an engine swap so it is possible that it became contaminated.

The ONLY difference I made in the system is a VOV instead of orifice this time. If this is enough to cause these problems, it is an easy fix. But again, if I have to open the system...

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The problem may not be the compressor. Too much refrigerant or any air in the system may be the problem. It could also be low on oil. Time to go to an A/C shop.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    <2000

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Anything is possible but considering the history I wouldn't mind changing the compressor out especially if I have to open the system. I have access to a recovery machine, vacuum, etc. The entire system (hoses, condensor, evap, dryer) was replaced a few years ago minus the compressor. The oil was changed and measured [and yes it is the correct type for 134], the refrigerant level is still good and the system was vacuumed down prior to filling. The compressor sat for a long time on my garage floor while I was doing an engine swap so it is possible that it became contaminated.

The ONLY difference I made in the system is a VOV instead of orifice this time. If this is enough to cause these problems, it is an easy fix. But again, if I have to open the system...
    There is a valve in the VOV that will stick if the tube that it goes in is bent, i.e. you can't bend the VOV. Depending on that situation, it could cause problems.

If you don't find a used one, and if you are ambitious and have time on your hands, you can disassemble your compressor to inspect. If it looks good, especially the 5 pistons, rods, and ball/socket joints in that assembly, you can refurbish the compressor for a nominal amount. You just need to be surgically clean and detailed about the job.

If so, here's a thread that will help:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...rly-A-C-System

Otherwise, good luck with the search.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'd check the oil, put a regular orifice in it, recharge it (10% less for 134a), and see if that quietens it down right away. If not, get one locally with a good warranty.

My VIN:    4792

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Pm Sent

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will give them a shot but at the same time I will also get a replacement so the car isn't down. I'd really be interested in opening up my current compressor to see the condition and rebuilding it at some point when I have time (I'm still essentail) so thank you Dana for posting your link. I am sure I will have some questions.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    03572

My guess if the compressor is making noise, it's shot. Even with a jammed VOV the low pressure would just keep the compressor off most of the time.

I had a VOV and it did jam closed because the pipe was bent. Just installed the standard orifice and works fine.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

If you go the new compressor route, I recommend the 4708 configuration. Exact same as stock configuration. Comes with PAG but if you want to run R12, just drain the oil and refill with the same amount of mineral oil. Had mine in my car for about 6 years and zero issues. Ordered it straight from Sanden. Don't even go through the trouble of rebuilding your old.

http://store.sanden.com/index.php/4708.html

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

A/C Compressor

Today I took the compressor off the engine and drained it. I got an old man drip into the cup from it. Where the hell is all my oil??? I know for sure I filled it with the proper amount when I installed all my new parts. The oil that did drip out is a golden brown with no flakes. I'm going to order a flush kit, dryer and orifice. I have plenty of PAG oil for the replacement compressor.
    Last edited by dn010; 04-30-2020 at 07:53 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast