FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: VIN 5510 - Bill's DeLorean Restoration

My VIN:    5510

Cross-post from the daily thread:

Had a pretty fun day today - this is the first time I've driven the DeLorean on a highway!

I visited a place called Stew's Garage in Kirkland, WA (Totem Lake). This is a shop space where you can rent a bay, complete with a full suite of tools and a car lift. For roughly $100 I rented a bay for two hours, and it was AMAZING!! With the car up on the 4-post lift I could easily torque down all of the suspension components, which was the plan. I also poked around to try and figure out where the transmission is leaking from (In short - everywhere). It was nice to be able to have all the high quality tools available, and I surely got more done in 2 hours than I could do in a full day at home.

On the way to the garage I took only back roads, it's about 10 miles away or so, and it did really well. I was pretty nervous, since the farthest drive since the rebuild has been around the block!! On the drive home I was much more confident, and took the highway. Got it up to about 70 with no major issues.

As far as I can tell, there seems to be a small exhaust leak when I give it some gas. I can also hear a slight squealing at higher RPMs. The gas gauge is definitely not right. Temperature gauge seems low (fans come on, though). I got a little bit of smoke on the way home, but this is probably the exhaust paint & wrap, and it stopped. The steering wheel isn't centered - and the car needs an alignment. And lastly, the automatic is just... Ooof, especially as far as power is concerned. It will trigger the kick down switch and max out at about 3krpm, but going up steep hills takes a lot. It's begging for that EV conversion.

It's been a while since I did a video, so this one catches up on the last few weeks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G84Sbmb12GQ

Since my last text update I have fixed the heater core pipes and then installed the lines so the heater core is working, and I get heat in the cabin. I also cleaned up all the windows and removed stickers and stuff like that, so the view is MUCH better now. Lastly, I went to a local alignment shop recommended by Toby and they made sure the toe in the front and rear was correct.

The car is now loaded up on a trailer and heading to our new home in Ellensburg. I didn't feel comfortable driving up through Snoqualmie Pass, and was able to get it transported for $275, so I thought that was pretty reasonable.

Once in it's new home, 5510 is going to be sitting for a few months. I have some other projects I need to take care of (moving into the new house, cleaning out and selling the current house, renovating the foyer, launching an updated website for my business) and the weather is going to be pretty snowy anyway. Once I'm ready to get back to work, I've got a bit of a list going, but I really need to determine which path I'm going to go down... One option is that I can rebuild the original auto transmission and put it back in the car, which will let me really drive around without worrying and hopefully resolve the issues with having low power, and will probably increase how much I'll get when I go to sell the engine and both transmissions. The other option is to sell them just as they are, leaks and all, and jump straight into the EV conversion. I guess I have a few months to think about it!!

Purchases:
    • Stainless bumper studs, stainless air-deflector retaining strips, throttle stop, LEDs for doors and side markers - $146 - DGO

The DeLorean made its way to Ellensburg just fine, though it's dirty again and needs another wash!!

https://youtu.be/CyQv-nypDYc

Also, I realized that I didn't mention the cost of some services that I paid for:

• Stew's Garage - 2 hours - $94
    • Omni Brake & Alignment - $193

It's been a few months with the DeLorean sitting in the shop, just waiting for winter to end. Last week I was finally able to take it out on a beautiful day, drive it through Ellensburg around the WSU campus and back home. She held up like a champ! Starting her up after so long did take some coaxing and a new battery, however. I'm going to let it sit for a week without the charger on it to make sure it holds up and to give myself the confidence to take the DeLorean on errands.

In lieu of working on the DeLorean much, building out the shop has been top priority for my time now that the old house has been sold. I built some stairs up into the loft area, which basically doubles the amount of storage available, and put together some shelving units and started filling them up. As I'm nearing the time when I'll be able to start working on things again, I went and ordered some parts to fix up some leaks on the transmission and rear main seal, and hopefully get both transmissions in tip-top shape. Helping that happen is... *drumroll*... my new 2-post Bendpak lift!! Got it ordered a few days ago and it will get delivered sometime in May or June. Quite the long wait, but I know it'll be worth it. After having the pleasure to try out Stews Garage and put the car up on a lift and so easily work on everything, I know that having the lift will turn a lot of 8-hour days into 2-hour days. I'll never have to stack up 80 concrete blocks to take the body off the frame or put it back on, and when the EV conversion starts it will really help to be able to drop the battery pack from the donor and lift the motor out, etc. I have a feeling that once I have the lift I'll find a way to use it weekly.

That's about it for the update for me until I can wrap up some things around the house and get to working on the transmissions.

Purchases:
    • Battery - $184 - O'Reilly's
    • Auto shift cable - $86 - DGO
    • Parking brake cables (both sides) - $134 - DGO
    • Lower speedo cable - $49 - DGO
    • Replacement rear main seal and some transmission seals - $75 - DGO

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6