FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grady anti-rattle clips

My VIN:    10907

Grady anti-rattle clips

So I'm finally getting around to installing these clips I bought like 3 years ago.

IMG_20200514_153822879.jpg

And I can't actually find instructions for them anywhere so I just wanted to double check - the ones on top (with the clippy things) go on the rear (as seen in this pic) and the ones on the bottom (with the springs) go on the the front, with the springs in between the brake pads, is that correct?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Yes and yes. They are more for brake squeal then actual rattle but if you hear the pads clicking this will fix it too. If the pads are worn they should be replaced. Make sure the pads can slide in and out of the caliper easily. If they are tight, clean the edges up and the caliper so they can move a little bit. If the rotors have grooves or ridges or blue spots, they should be cut.
    David Teitelbaum

Are these still available from Grady, or any other vendor?

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    Are these still available from Grady, or any other vendor?
    I too am intrigued about this as I can sometimes hear my rear pads rattle lightly at low speed.

My VIN:    02530

As far as I know he still has them available, they are not listed on his website but if you call he can get you set up. I installed mine probably two years ago and that was the last time my pads clicked/chattered. Easy fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think really all I need is those springs. Any ideas on where to source those?

My VIN:    16377

This picture should help.

This is for the rear caliper.

IMG_9414.jpg

I don't have the springs on the pins like you have. Is that for the fronts?

Thanks.

-Nick

Thanks, everyone! Nick - yes, the ones with the springs are for the front (I think, and so David says also). I know I ordered a set for the front and the rear so if the ones with the clips go on the rear then the others must be for the front. They're different than the ones DMCH supplies though (I originally thought the rear set was for the front bc they looked more like those).

My VIN:    3937

Here are a couple of links:

Previous thread discussing Rob's rear brake clips including comments from Rob and some good photos from Mark...

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...i+rattle+clips

In that thread there's also a link to a simple how-to I made a while ago for the front clips...

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?61...p-installation

I had intermittent rear brake clicking and clacking for as long as I had had the car. And then in September of 2017 I installed those clips from Rob on the rears and have not heard a sound out of them since. I can't find a single picture of them though! And that bums me out because I went back and saw some emails asking for photos and how they were oriented and whatnot. I know I eventually figured it out because they're on the car right now. But they didn't go in quite like the fronts and I don't recall them being anything like those springs you show there. I'm tempted to pull off one of my rear wheels just to look. Hopefully someone else posts a photo so I don't need to do that...

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Here are the front ones installed.

IMG_20200528_132449728.jpg

Nick posted a pic of the rear ones above, mine are the same style as that.

Overall one of the easier jobs I've done on this car! The hardest part was squeezing the springs in between the pads on the front. What I ended up doing was sticking the new rod through one hole and the old one through the other, then fitting the ends of the spring onto the ends of the rods and wigging the coils of the spring further up on the rods until I could compress it enough to slide the new rod all the way through.

Might not get to test drive it til I go back to work in another 10 days but there's a construction zone on the on-ramp with concrete dividers and I always hear the rattle as I go through that corridor so I'll listen up and see if I hear a difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast