FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Should I run away from a Delorean with a 1987 'Severe' accident on the CarFax?

My VIN:    1465

Should I run away from a Delorean with a 1987 'Severe' accident on the CarFax?

Hi,
    I’m looking at purchasing a 1981 Delorean and the CARFax is noting a severe accident in 1987.

The current owner, who purchased the car in 1993, knew nothing about the accident when I confronted him about it.

I’m concerned now that I might be making a mistake with purchasing this car.

According to the owner the following was done to the car while he owned it and he told me that no one, who worked on the car, noted any issues regarding an accident. This work was done over 15 years ago.

- Texas DMC replaced the engine with a Stage 2 engine. He said the old motor was shot
    - Texas DMC changed the suspension to a European standard (I guess that means it’s lowered from the US version.)
    - Bennett Coach works performed a restoration on it.

The car is 1,000 miles away from me, so I’m purchasing it semi-remotely. I am having a mechanic look over the car before I fly out there to purchase it.

I was initially excited about this car because it has a Stage 2 engine, but now I’m wondering if I should run away.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

- Curt

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Any severe accident in a Delorean results in serious fiberglass damage. Aside from a complete GRP replacement, it is always possible to see from beneath how and where they were pieced back together. Especially if the work was completed in the 80's. I would definitely reconsider this as you may be getting more than you bargained for. There are plenty of cars available at any given time. It would be in your best interest to continue the search.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    4792

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt_DMC View Post
    Hi,
    I’m looking at purchasing a 1981 Delorean and the CARFax is noting a severe accident in 1987.

The current owner, who purchased the car in 1993, knew nothing about the accident when I confronted him about it.

I’m concerned now that I might be making a mistake with purchasing this car.

According to the owner the following was done to the car while he owned it and he told me that no one, who worked on the car, noted any issues regarding an accident. This work was done over 15 years ago.

- Texas DMC replaced the engine with a Stage 2 engine. He said the old motor was shot
    - Texas DMC changed the suspension to a European standard (I guess that means it’s lowered from the US version.)
    - Bennett Coach works performed a restoration on it.

The car is 1,000 miles away from me, so I’m purchasing it semi-remotely. I am having a mechanic look over the car before I fly out there to purchase it.

I was initially excited about this car because it has a Stage 2 engine, but now I’m wondering if I should run away.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

- Curt

Where is the car located?

While DeLoreans aren't particularly complicated cars, they're different enough, and old enough that most mechanics won't really know what they're looking at beyond the basics.

My advice would be to get in touch with owners who are local to the car you're considering, and hire one of them to go look at the car with you. In the meantime, get in touch with owners local to you, and check out their cars,
    so you know what you're looking at.

I'd also highly recommend James Espey's Delorean Buyers Guide.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

If David T does not respond to this thread I will eat my left over fuel pump parts.
    Last edited by Michael; 05-14-2020 at 08:56 PM.