FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Volant Stainless Skis - Custom Delorean Paint Project

My VIN:    07190

Volant Stainless Skis - Custom Delorean Paint Project

So this is a little project that I have had on my back burner for a while ever since I found out that a company made stainless steel skis. Thanks to the current pandemic, I finally had the time to waste.

I wanted to try and get the look and feel of the car without going too over the top. I decided that I would pull from both dealer stripes as inspiration and go from there. I am very happy with how they turned out. I have to let them dry/cure for a few days then am probably going to clearcoat down the center for protection.

They are painted using vinyl cutter to generate masks for logos and the "wings" from the large stripes. The rest is good old masking tape.

I have been working on a custom cargo rack for the back that I am going to incorporate an old Thule ski rack I have for mounting them on the car. Being located 3 miles from the only indoor ski mountain in North America, I might actually get an opportunity to show the whole setup off this summer if the sanctions are ever lifted.

The hardest thing now is I almost feel they are too beautiful to use. Good thing I picked up a spare set that I think I'm going to just keep bare stainless.

What do you think?

KIMG1905.jpg
    KIMG1899.jpg
    KIMG1898.jpg
    KIMG1900.jpg
    KIMG1906.jpg
    KIMG1902.jpg
    1988 4Runner Convertible (Daily Driver)
    1978 Corvette Indy Pace Car
    1987 Buick Grand National
    1981 Delorean DMC-12 (07190)
    2000 Buell X-1
    2008 Buell 1125R
    2008 Cadillac Escalade EXT Platinum (tow vehicle)

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Volant Stainless Skis - Custom Delorean Paint Project

Nice!

I take it those skis never had bindings mounted to them. No visible holes that I can see.

I always wanted to get a set of those. I have the Factory ski rack option. “Not for sale” though.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 05-17-2020 at 10:17 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

« Cool » indeed! I am more of a snowboard guy , but these are very well made. Nice projet!

I have skis but for cross-country, and they are original Jack Rabbit from Sweden, made of wood.

I have never seen skis made of ss. Very special.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Nice!

I take it those skis never had bindings mounted to them. No visible holes that I can see.

I always wanted to get a set of those. I have the Factory ski rack option. “Not for sale” though.
    Thanks. Actually they do have Salomon bindings on them. I used them once this past winter to see how they felt before committing to the project. I have a pair of White Salomon SX92 Rear entry boots I wear with them which are perfectly dated. I plan to do some custom work to them as well, but don't want to overdo it with logos on them.
    2000 Buell X-1
    2008 Buell 1125R

My VIN:    5312

Dude those are amazing. Very very cool! Do you have the original ski rack for your car?
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

That's awesome!

Thanks

Thanks for all of the positive comments. Riley88, I do not currently have ski rack, but I have plans for building a custom one out of some DOM tubing I have laying around. The price point on the factory one has always been a little too much for its value for me.
    2000 Buell X-1
    2008 Buell 1125R