FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Harbor freight 6 ton & 3 ton jack stands nhtsa recalled

Exclamation Harbor freight 6 ton & 3 ton jack stands nhtsa recalled

I saw this on another forum and thought it should also be posted here.

Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recalled for Risk of Collapsing
    Link to NHTSA (6-ton) https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0E016-6561.PDF
    Link to NHTSA (3-ton) https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0E027-9959.PDF
    ​​​​​​​

Harbor Freight Jack Stands Recalled for Risk of Collapsing
    Check yours immediately.

By Bob S.
    May 19, 2020

The Harbor Freight jack stands that we've all bought, borrowed or seen in our friends' garages are being recalled due to a risk of collapsing under load. Go check yours immediately.

In a recall filed with the NHTSA on March 20 of this year, Harbor Freight explains that certain 6-ton jack stands have the potential to disengage their support pawl under shifting weight, causing the stand to drop suddenly. A second recall, filed May 3, extends the recall to 3-ton jack stands. The defect is attributed to aging tooling at the factory that produced the jack stands.

The recall document says that the problem could affect more than 450,000 6-ton jack stands produced between 2013 and 2019 and nearly 1.3 million 3-ton jack stands produced between 2012 and 2020. These jack stands were sold under the Pittsburg brand name, and can be identified by item numbers 56371 or 61196 on 3-ton models, and 61197 on 6-ton models.

Harbor Freight urges anybody in possession of affected jack stands to return them to the store in exchange for a gift card equal to the price of the stands. Any unsold jack stands covered by the recall have been removed from stores. Check on your buddies and spread the word around—these jack stands are ubiquitous, and a failure like this could be fatal.

Here is Harbor Freights recall notice:

https://images.harborfreight.com/hft...1196_61197.pdf

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I posted this on facebook, but neglected to do so here was well.

Two of my jackstands are affected by this. I use them regularly; more than almost any other single tool in my garage. There are a dozen different times if they failed I would have been killed, and two dozen more I would’ve been crippled.

Absolutely crucial piece of safety equipment. 100% of the time a jack goes under a vehicle, a jackstand follows it. (Chocks before jacking, too)
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    Early

Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Essential to have trustworthy jacks. I like the style with locking collars.

1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by gluaisrothaii View Post
    Essential to have trustworthy jacks. I like the style with locking collars.

That's just plane showing off.

My VIN:    Early

Off topic, but I just realized with that Jack pic that he has censored his VIN on here, but he freely posts pics of his N-number...
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Look harder....