FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ground power

Ground power

I wanted to have an easy means to connect a battery tender and/or run the ship on ground power for troubleshooting or maintenance purposes. As a side bonus I wanted a connection I could make without opening doors and that would self disconnect if I forgot it and drove off- admittedly a corner case requirement.

I found Rosenberger MagCode connectors- hard to find in the US for some reason, so sourced from the UK via eBay. I picked the 15A 12V style. Fabricated a .063" aluminum bracket that bolts to an existing hole in the stainless rear fender support by the right exhaust pipe, along with some 3M VHB tape. Connected to power and ground via fused 14g Tefzel wire. These connectors are not live unless the matching magnetic connector is attached. Pretty neat.

Here's a quick photo summary of the installation. I'm using a 20amp 2-channel marine smart battery charger/maintainer, and for grins I put a watt-meter inline so I can see how many watts each accessory draws and how many Ah it takes to charge the battery for example. Powerpole connectors are quite neat for this purpose. I used the 30 amp style.

+12v connection to the main power connection in the engine bay; ground from the coil bracket.

1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There is also a self ejecting connector that the emergency services (ambulances & fire trucks) use. When you start the motor it pops the plug off. In California where you don't get so dirty that is an OK place to put the connector but in other areas where it is going to get all dirty that isn't such a good place to put it.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    There is also a self ejecting connector that the emergency services (ambulances & fire trucks) use. When you start the motor it pops the plug off. In California where you don't get so dirty that is an OK place to put the connector but in other areas where it is going to get all dirty that isn't such a good place to put it.
    I did look at the self ejecting connectors- they are cool and very spendy. There's a weather cover for the car side receiver- on order- but agreed this is a California solution. Would be tricky in a road salt state.
    1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I had exactly the same problem, and a few months ago I discovered MagCode ports. I bought one with the spring-loaded cover (from eBay, like you, shipped from Germany, I believe -- I didn't have any easier time finding them than you did). I'm waiting for my garage to be finished before I install it. It's interesting to see another installation!

I'm looking at putting it under the front left fender somewhere, the logic being that I back out of my garage and won't worry about driving over it when it releases on its own, and I have to walk around that side anyway to get into the house, so I'll be able to quickly pop on the charger on the way in. I'd like to find someplace higher and more easily accessible, but I also don't want it to be visible. I thought about mounting it through the bottom of the driver side mirror housing, but then I have to drill through the housing or making a new one, and opening the door will cause the cable to detach (which might be a feature?), and having to run wires through the door to the battery (if I can't find any I can reuse) seemed like a pain.

-- Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    I had exactly the same problem, and a few months ago I discovered MagCode ports. I bought one with the spring-loaded cover (from eBay, like you, shipped from Germany, I believe -- I didn't have any easier time finding them than you did). I'm waiting for my garage to be finished before I install it. It's interesting to see another installation!

I'm looking at putting it under the front left fender somewhere, the logic being that I back out of my garage and won't worry about driving over it when it releases on its own, and I have to walk around that side anyway to get into the house, so I'll be able to quickly pop on the charger on the way in. I'd like to find someplace higher and more easily accessible, but I also don't want it to be visible. I thought about mounting it through the bottom of the driver side mirror housing, but then I have to drill through the housing or making a new one, and opening the door will cause the cable to detach (which might be a feature?), and having to run wires through the door to the battery (if I can't find any I can reuse) seemed like a pain.

-- Joe
    Great minds etc.- good to see I'm not the only one thinking along these lines. The neat thing about these connectors is that they are self aligning, so even if you can't easily see the socket it's easy to install the plug (and impossible to misalign). I always back into my garage so my install position allows release on departure without risk of driving over the plug, and I didn't have to drill/cut/modify anything on the car. I'm planning to install sockets on my KTM and FJ as well.

1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

Just curious, but do you have issues with all the exhaust in the garage? It looks cooler to have my cars facing forwards out of the garage (I mean, that's what really matters ), but I don't want to fill the garage with exhaust. If I backed in I'd put the port on the rear too, and it's a lot easier to find battery hookups back there.

-- Joe

Just curious, but do you have issues with all the exhaust in the garage? It looks cooler to have my cars facing forwards out of the garage (I mean, that's what really matters ), but I don't want to fill the garage with exhaust. If I backed in I'd put the port on the rear too, and it's a lot easier to find battery hookups back there.

-- Joe
    I guess it would be an issue if the exhaust wasn't clean or I didn't have cats, but I really haven't noticed that much of a problem. Generally it takes only about 10 seconds to back in, less to get the car out so there's not much buildup of exhaust. I definitely wouldn't let the car idle in there for any time at all.

Funny enough I think the DeLorean looks great reversing out of the garage, especially if you have a fogger for the full BTTF effect!
    1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

Just a F.Y.I. side note:

You do not want to use this connection type with a "Battery Tender" brand because the instructions state to unplug from the AC outlet before disconnecting and when connecting connect to vehicle first then plug in to AC outlet.

You might want to check your charger instructions.

Just thought I would share this info.

Neat idea. I have not seen those before and keeping a mental not on them.

Huh. I put a Battery Tender connector in my engine compartment and have just been plugging and unplugging the cable without worrying about unplugging the tender itself. It seems odd that it would actually damage the tender or the car. I checked the instructions just now and I don't see anything about unplugging it before use. Maybe I overlooked something?

-- Joe

Huh. I put a Battery Tender connector in my engine compartment and have just been plugging and unplugging the cable without worrying about unplugging the tender itself. It seems odd that it would actually damage the tender or the car. I checked the instructions just now and I don't see anything about unplugging it before use. Maybe I overlooked something?

-- Joe

Hmmm, I recently bought another new Battery Tender Plus. I got out the instructions and you are correct, no mention of connecting and disconnecting to AC.

I know they have changed their design and no longer us a transformer and the new technology used is different, so maybe that's why.

I have several of these and one is pretty old and those instructions had stated that but not on my newer one. It is one of their first ones they made many years ago.

I guess I am a guy and don't always read instructions or maps

Good catch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast