FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DMCH Reproduction Dashboards

Question DMCH Reproduction Dashboards

Hi All,

I've gotten back on restoring my Delorean after a long hiatus. I searched the archives on this and there were old subjects on the issues with the DMCH dashboards. Has anyone purchased one recently? Have they improved in quality?

Thanks!

My VIN:    2245

FYI, they're white plastic that's painted.

Painted white plastic? I thought the plastic was dyed the color during forming?

My VIN:    2245

Take a knife to the underside and you will see. If one of the door trim rubs your dash it will wear the paint off.

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    Painted white plastic? I thought the plastic was dyed the color during forming?
    Mine is from the first batch from like 10 years ago and I'm pretty sure it is molded in dark gray plastic, but is painted on the top surface for color match. I've got one on my parts shelf that I never got around to installing. I just went and scratched the bottom side with a screw and gray shavings were coming off.

My original dash is just showing some discoloration so when the time comes I'm going to redye it rather than swap it for the plastic reproduction. The color match on the reproductions isn't perfect either.

From the photos I've seen of others and comparing to my own quality of the reproductions seem to vary... In the old threads from years back there were photos of some that looked like they were ejected from the mold when they were still soft and you can see some distortion in the surface. There are reinforcing ribs around the mounting posts on the back side and on some of the parts you can see where the top surface dips and is uneven near these areas. Other people have had the mounting posts snap off when tightening down the dash.
    Last edited by Mark D; 05-24-2020 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Mine is from the first batch from like 10 years ago and I'm pretty sure it is molded in dark gray plastic, but is painted on the top surface for color match. I've got one on my parts shelf that I never got around to installing. I just went and scratched the bottom side with a screw and gray shavings were coming off.

My original dash is just showing some discoloration so when the time comes I'm going to redye it rather than swap it for the plastic reproduction. The color match on the reproductions isn't perfect either.

From the photos I've seen of others and comparing to my own quality of the reproductions seem to vary... In the old threads from years back there were photos of some that looked like they were ejected from the mold when they were still soft and you can see some distortion in the surface. There are reinforcing ribs around the mounting posts on the back side and on some of the parts you can see where the top surface dips and is uneven near these areas. Other people have had the mounting posts snap off when tightening down the dash.
    So, it's basically a crap shoot with these repro dashes then. I'll see if I can get mine recovered again by a car restoration place.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

The best option is and always has been going through Just Dashes.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    The best option is and always has been going through Just Dashes.
    Do you know how much they charge to do a dashboard and a binnacle? And what the turn around time has been like for you?

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    Do you know how much they charge to do a dashboard and a binnacle? And what the turn around time has been like for you?
    As of 2015:

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Here you go.

For a 1981 DeLorean we do a complete restoration. You will need to
    send the dash, binnacle, and glove box door into us and we will do a
    complete reconstruction off your original parts. We work off your
    original part to ensure that when you go to put it back in car you
    know it's going to fit. Our current turnaround time is about 10 weeks
    from the time we receive your part.
    Send to: Just Dashes
    5941 Lemona Ave.
    Van Nuys, CA 91411

Cost:
    $950 - dash
    $500 - binnacles
    $200 - glove box door
    + Shipping

This price includes that restoration of the parts in black. For any
    other color, you can add $100-$150 depending on the color. I've
    attached an order form for your convenience. Let me know if you need
    anything else.

From this thread here:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11...good-condition

I got a quote back from them, but forgot to include the glovebox lid into that. Below is what they responded with.

Our current lead time is approximately 4 months from the time we receive your parts.
    Here is an approximate cost of your restoration:
    $600 Inst. Hood
    $1,200 Large Piece; speaker holes $50
    $200-300 Color Match & Painting Fee
    *No extra charge for black
    + Shipping

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast