FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Oil leak help

My VIN:    1335

Oil leak help

I've got an oil leak that's getting progressively worse. Any ideas where it could be coming from and what measures I can take to fix the issue?

20200524_125127.jpg20200524_125133.jpg
    Attached Images

I suggest you clean everything up then let it run and see where it is tracking from. On that area a key culprit is the rear seal. To fix you need to pull the transmission to replace (which is not fun when the seal is only $20!).

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Dhennick99 View Post
    I've got an oil leak that's getting progressively worse. Any ideas where it could be coming from and what measures I can take to fix the issue?

20200524_125127.jpg20200524_125133.jpg
    +1 on what Jonty said. Also, is it engine or transmission oil? The latter has a pungent sulfur smell to it.
    Based on where it is , engine oil can come from the rear main seal (the orange ring in the below picture), or from one of the two cam seals on the back of the engine (you can see one of them in the top right of the picture:

If it is transmission oil, it is probably your input shaft seal and or the guide tube o-ring:

Input shaft seal (behind the shiny coupler):

Guide tube o-ring:

Both involve removing the transmission. The latter one involves splitting the case halves of the transmission.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It can also be the clutch slave cylinder leaking brake fluid or a combinatio0n of all of them. Check the level of the motor oil, clutch fluid, and transmission. Clean up everything and watch where it starts from.
    David Teitelbaum