FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Starting My Journey

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Something that's implied in all this, especially what Louie said, is that many cars for sale aren't advertised at all. Instead, they're word of mouth through club members - this could be 50% of cars. That's why it can be great to get in with clubs and go visit. Such cars are often familiar to other club members, so they can be aware of any issues.
    Well...hopefully car shows will be allowed again soon. I really want to start getting involved. Also being a club member car it would probably be more loved and taken care of than some car on a lot or from an old widow who's husband left it behind.

Like I said before, I want a car that's in good enough condition to be enjoyed but still needs improvements that I can do over time as a hobby.

I COULD drop 40 on one of the nice refurbished cars from a vendor...but cash would be so tight for the next 6 years that if anything went wrong it would have to go on the charge card and also paid off over time. But it could be done, so long as the car is reliable and doesn't need any maintenance or repairs in excess of 400 dollars (clutch, or major overhaul of other systems). I can afford normal car maintenance like brakes, tires, fluids, etc no problem. But That's why I only wanna be in it 30k tops, so I CAN afford it if something happens.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

What about this one? Been eyeballing it. Its a little above my price range but its doable.

https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...kentucky-41015

Has anyone on here bought one of DMCH's "daily driver" Deloreans? Are they reliable enough that I can just do what the name implies? Daily drive it and just perform normal routine maintenance like any other car? Or will I still find myself spending thousands every year on this thing... I'm beginning to feel a little discouraged as I start looking at all the prices of parts on DeLorean industries and pj Grady...they are sometimes double the prices from DMCH...I'm sadly wondering if I already missed my chance to own one of these cars..as some cars considered to be "clunkers" are prices at 20-30k....

sorry about the above message, I have really bad self confidence issues and my depression took over a bit there. Gotta Stay Positive! Like one of my favorite Youtubers always says, Keep Moving Forward. Im going to do this project, just not as expected. The way I see it, I got 2 choices. A: I sell my camaro for 25-30k and buy a DeLorean in that price range Cash and fix it as I go. Or B: take the 25-30k from the Camaro sale and put it towards a fully restored ready to roll completed car and finance the difference and run normal maintenance.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 5dmc1 View Post
    sorry about the above message, I have really bad self confidence issues and my depression took over a bit there. Gotta Stay Positive! Like one of my favorite Youtubers always says, Keep Moving Forward. Im going to do this project, just not as expected. The way I see it, I got 2 choices. A: I sell my camaro for 25-30k and buy a DeLorean in that price range Cash and fix it as I go. Or B: take the 25-30k from the Camaro sale and put it towards a fully restored ready to roll completed car and finance the difference and run normal maintenance.
    At the risk of stating the obvious, perhaps what you should do is save a bit more, go see some cars, and then when your perfect car does some up, you'll be ready to nab it.

Quote Originally Posted by 5dmc1 View Post
    Has anyone on here bought one of DMCH's "daily driver" Deloreans? Are they reliable enough that I can just do what the name implies? Daily drive it and just perform normal routine maintenance like any other car? Or will I still find myself spending thousands every year on this thing.

I have a car that was refurbished by DMCF. I’m not sure if it was considered a “daily driver” or a “premium”, but it’s been 100% reliable for the roughly 7,000 miles I’ve put on it in less than 2 years. I’ve put a few thousand dollars into it because I wanted to, not because I had to. Mostly upgrading things like stainless fuel lines, solid state relays, radiator fans, silicone hoses, etc. The only required expense so far has been a starter, which was cheaper than replacing the starter on my old Subaru.

Prices are increasing for these cars, and each year we probably lose at least a few to fires or crashes, so supply is decreasing. No one has ever said “I purchased too nice of a car”, but plenty of people (my brother included) did regret not paying enough....and getting a basket case of a car that needed way more than they could handle. My brother sold his car after a year or so of frustration, the car spending more time not working than working. I guarantee that if he had purchased a better example it would still be in his driveway.

My VIN:    1086

i have been looking for my delorean over 2 years, because the offer in europe is much smaller than in the usa. i have looked at some of them and travelled a lot and learned a lot. with every car always a little bit more.offer and demand determine the price and the market is getting smaller and smaller. you should find your way and be patient - the delorean should find you :-)
    i found mine in england and had it brought to germany. it was overhauled in a garage and so i invested much more money than i had planned. because i always chose the better option. with a 40 year old car there is always something to beautify and improve and optimize - that's our passion.
    you should find your personal way and know exactly what you want and be patient.
    but it will never become a daily driver - because something new can happen with every ride - but that's also the attraction. or you decide for a perfect frame-off restoration.
    i have never regretted my decision and have a smile on my face every time i drive.
    i wish you much patience and success in your search.
    greetings from germany
    andi

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

+1 on all of the great advice above!

Check out the 2nd & 3rd Sticky HERE -- And keep educating yourself so that you are ready to inspect your car properly when it shows up!

I will add-
    If you post a link to a D asking if it is a good deal, and it really is, it will probably be sold before you get a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    +1 on all of the great advice above!

Check out the 2nd & 3rd Sticky HERE -- And keep educating yourself so that you are ready to inspect your car properly when it shows up!

I will add-
    If you post a link to a D asking if it is a good deal, and it really is, it will probably be sold before you get a reply.
    Its not the car I want anyway. I mean...it is..but isn't..I wanna start with a stock car, and put my own goodies on it, not buy someone else's personalized car, I'm not a fan of the fact the car is stage 2, I wanna experience it stock first and then change things to aftermarket as I see fit, not knowing stock to begin with might lead me to have things about the car I need to put back to stock because I don't like the effect the mod has on the car, or I might not even know a mox is there and it could be a potential cause of a problem that otherwise wouldn't be there. I learned all this modifying my Focus ST, so I really don't want a modified car, I want a stock one.

My VIN:    715

Welcome, Patrick! You are the same age as I was when I got my dream machine, VIN #715. To give you a preview of the road ahead for you, my DeLorean is one of the best things that ever happened in my life. I used my DMC-12 as a daily driver for years in California, have taken it on many classic road trips, and love my car to this day. It still feels like a spaceship more than a car.

It sounds to me like you have a realistic attitude about the maintenance and ongoing investments that will be necessary, and so I expect that when you take the plunge you are going to end up happy.

The fellows here are giving you good advice. Listen to them and take your time finding the right car for you. I think you will find that after absorbing a certain amount of counsel you will develop your own perspective and you will know when you are ready. Pass up the cars that aren't right. You've got time. For me, when the right car appeared, it checked all my boxes and I was delighted to see it. I knew it was a great deal, promptly pulled the trigger with confidence, and have never regretted it. In my case, years ago, I wanted a car with higher mileage than other people were usually looking for, because I wanted a DeLorean that had been maintained as a practical driving vehicle rather than as a garage display or a concours winner. That approach paid off handsomely for me. I saved money and also got a car with road-proven, updated components. Knowing what your priorities are will help you similarly make the best choice for you.

I have spent lots of money taking care of my car over the years but it has not been out of line with what I expected. I still feel like I am getting all the thrill and enjoyment I would get out of a much more expensive exotic. I love classic designs like the Lancia Stratos, the Lotus Esprit, and the Lamborghini Countach, but money aside I wouldn't trade my DMC-12 for any of those beautiful machines. The DeLorean's pleasures are uniquely satisfying for me. On the simply practical side, I enjoy the fact that, unlike the aforementioned supercars, my DeLorean has the capacity to accommodate my groceries and carry enough luggage for a thousand-mile trip. (I also find the rear visibility very good compared to that of many other exotics.) I have found the DMC-12 is just a very comfortable car to go driving in.

One person's maintenance experience, for what it's worth: Danny Botkin and Don Steger in L.A. prepped my car for a Route 66 transcontinental. When the shakedown turned up an unexpected problem, Don came in on a Sunday to take care of it for me because he knew I was counting on his work and I had a schedule to keep. What great guys. I bought peace of mind working with Don and Danny, and as a result I had a classic time on Route 66. I enjoyed buying parts and learning much from a helpful gent named Warren at DMC Houston for years. More recently I had DMC Midwest install remote door locks and launchers. That didn't go as well as I'd hoped, so I will shortly be sending my car back to Danny Botkin in L.A. for its next big round of maintenance. The trouble I have consistently had with most non-DMC repair shops, both in California and in the Midwest, makes me avoid them now whenever possible. A Lamborghini-trained shop in the Bay Area finally had the skill (and courage) to be dependable but wow, the cost. I have tried doing maintenance myself but I am no brilliant mechanic. Your experience plus YouTube will probably set you up to do much better than I have done in this regard.

Patrick, the main thing to me is what I said earlier: I think you have a appropriate expectations about the purchase you are going to make, and because of that I expect you are going to sit down to an inner smile every time you take the wheel, just like I do. I'm glad you have joined DMCTalk and are asking questions. You'll have much more support than I had starting out, and you have much greater mechanical capability. Get ready for a fantastic ride! I wish you all the reward I have found as a DeLorean owner and I hope you'll keep us posted as you progress on your journey.

Best wishes,
    David West

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast