FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: a/c

a/c

Well, I am happy to say that I was able to go for a 3 hour ride around the Sacandaga lake today and no issues other than the A/C heat, which fortuneatly is was a cool day. I had my A/C worked on yesterday by my brother who is trained and does A/C at his place of employment. We put on an a/c pump as I have a couple, (long story) new pressure switches so we could put the 134 a in. Would have stayed with the r 12 but he was unable to find the gauges to install the r 12. Any way did all the flush/vacuum out and install of new 134 a. Had cold air. On the way home despite new fan motor, and it was blowing, I didnt feel a lot of air movement in the cab. Got home and checked and I had unhooked the control valve for the selector (floor, defrost, etc) Then upon working on the radio found another vacuum line off, and reinstalled it. On my ride today it was obvious the air wasnt flowing properly. I stopped to fill up the gas tank before the ride, and noticed air coming out of car on the outside by the windshield. And the air that was moving on the inside was warm. My feet where a tad bit warm, almost hot. I checked the cable on the temperature selctor and it is intct and moving, followed it the duct work area and again intact and moving. So where to start before the heat returns?? Thanks in advance for any help.

My VIN:    03500

Did you check the hot water control valve?

David B.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    Did you check the hot water control valve?

David B.
    Not positive I follow the hot water control valve. I am guessing you mean the temperature control knob on the dash?

My VIN:    03500

The valve that shuts off the hot water from the engine to the heater core when you turn on the A/C. It's behind the engine on passenger side. If it's not turning off you will get hot air instead of cold.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

At this point you should check the functionality of all of the actuators to make sure they are moving to the correct positions when you move the mode switch. Make sure the mode switch isn't hissing. Make sure the fan motor works on each fan speed and is turning in the correct direction (some aftermarket fan motors rotate the opposite way). Refer to N:01:04 and N:08:15. Also make sure the water valve is not stuck. When they don't move for a long time and weep slightly they can get stuck and not move to close. Also very easy to knock off the vacuum hose to that valve when you are working in that area and not notice (very busy in that spot and not much room).
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    At this point you should check the functionality of all of the actuators to make sure they are moving to the correct positions when you move the mode switch. Make sure the mode switch isn't hissing. Make sure the fan motor works on each fan speed and is turning in the correct direction (some aftermarket fan motors rotate the opposite way). Refer to N:01:04 and N:08:15. Also make sure the water valve is not stuck. When they don't move for a long time and weep slightly they can get stuck and not move to close. Also very easy to knock off the vacuum hose to that valve when you are working in that area and not notice (very busy in that spot and not much room).
    Thanks again, the hot water valve is a new twist to me, but do recall hooking it up when I put the motor in and hooked up the hoses. Wondered what that was for. I did put in anew fan motor that was in my bounty of goodies I came across. It is from Special T, I will check the rotation.