FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Engine block replacement?

Engine block replacement?

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the engine block from a 1988 Volvo 760 (I believe its a B280f?) can be a direct replacement for the Delorean's engine block?

I need to replace the engine block on my car and found an 88 Volvo 760 engine that I would strip down for the block and transfer over everything (including heads and crank) over from the Delorean, i just want to make sure that the blocks were the same. I don't want to do an EFI conversion yet (which I know the 88 760 is), I just want to swap the block out as of now and then at a later time (few years down the road) look into EFI.

Thanks!

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Short answer: does it look the same? if so yes. The later even fire will not. But it's an easy swap over (done many) if it's the correct one, just the bottom end and a few other bits & bobs.
    Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

My VIN:    4792

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Yes, the upper crankcases are interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    Hi All,

Does anyone know if the engine block from a 1988 Volvo 760 (I believe its a B280f?) can be a direct replacement for the Delorean's engine block?

I need to replace the engine block on my car and found an 88 Volvo 760 engine that I would strip down for the block and transfer over everything (including heads and crank) over from the Delorean, i just want to make sure that the blocks were the same. I don't want to do an EFI conversion yet (which I know the 88 760 is), I just want to swap the block out as of now and then at a later time (few years down the road) look into EFI.

Thanks!
    you should move delorean's crank, rods and pistons to the new block since the liners are different
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I am running the B280F engine, complete, EFI, etc. If you are just using the BLOCK only, as mentioned, it will be fine if you use all the other parts from the DeLorean engine. The B280F is an even fire engine, crankshaft is split journal, heads are different. It also uses an oil cooler which you can keep if you want to but if not you'll have to plug a hole in the block where the cooling line comes from and use the DeLorean "water return pipe". You cannot take a B280F short block, stick Kjet parts on it (intake won't even fit) and use it.

My last piece of advice is to make sure the block you're using has the transmission alignment dowels installed. I removed my DeLorean engine, installed the B280F engine and my starter was grinding loudly when I tired to fire it up. When I removed the transmission to see what the hell was going on, I realized the dowels stayed with the DeLorean engine and the B280F dowels stayed with the Bertone's AW70 transmission, so these was nothing lining it all up.
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    I am running the B280F engine, complete, EFI, etc. If you are just using the BLOCK only, as mentioned, it will be fine if you use all the other parts from the DeLorean engine. The B280F is an even fire engine, crankshaft is split journal, heads are different. It also uses an oil cooler which you can keep if you want to but if not you'll have to plug a hole in the block where the cooling line comes from and use the DeLorean "water return pipe". You cannot take a B280F short block, stick Kjet parts on it (intake won't even fit) and use it.

My last piece of advice is to make sure the block you're using has the transmission alignment dowels installed. I removed my DeLorean engine, installed the B280F engine and my starter was grinding loudly when I tired to fire it up. When I removed the transmission to see what the hell was going on, I realized the dowels stayed with the DeLorean engine and the B280F dowels stayed with the Bertone's AW70 transmission, so these was nothing lining it all up.
    Are there any other differences? Does it still have to plug at the top of the engine for TDC like the DeLorean one has? No threading issues (I've read else where that the threads in certain places were different?)

I'm pretty sure it has the same plug but I can check and confirm tonight. Other differences include coolant drains on both sides and cross bolted mains - B280E/F has them, DeLorean engine does not. If you don't want to keep the oil cooler, you'll probably need the D's oil filter adapter. The oil pump is not the same as the DeLorean pump, you can't interchange them. That is all I can think of at this time. I didn't have any issues with threads being different but I didn't bolt anything DeLorean onto it.
    -----Dan B.

I'm pretty sure it has the same plug but I can check and confirm tonight. Other differences include coolant drains on both sides and cross bolted mains - B280E/F has them, DeLorean engine does not. If you don't want to keep the oil cooler, you'll probably need the D's oil filter adapter. The oil pump is not the same as the DeLorean pump, you can't interchange them. That is all I can think of at this time. I didn't have any issues with threads being different but I didn't bolt anything DeLorean onto it.
    Thanks!

I was also told that the block needed some substantial machining to adapt the DeLorean heads to the block mating surfaces, is that true?

Any information you can provide about swapping it out would be appreciated!

I don't agree with the block needing machining. Put your pistons and liners in with seals, measure what you need to, shim what you need to and then bolt your heads on. Flip it over and work on the lower crankcase. Leave the oil pump alone unless you want to check the spring that is inside of it - the Volvo springs are junk and they break. Transfer over the oil pump pickup/strainer and associated parts, crank, etc.

One thing that is easy to forget is the cross bolted mains. When you're taking it apart (B280F) don't forget about the bolts on the sides otherwise you'll be wondering why the hell nothing will move with the lower crankcase removed.
    -----Dan B.

I don't agree with the block needing machining. Put your pistons and liners in with seals, measure what you need to, shim what you need to and then bolt your heads on. Flip it over and work on the lower crankcase. Leave the oil pump alone unless you want to check the spring that is inside of it - the Volvo springs are junk and they break. Transfer over the oil pump pickup/strainer and associated parts, crank, etc.

One thing that is easy to forget is the cross bolted mains. When you're taking it apart (B280F) don't forget about the bolts on the sides otherwise you'll be wondering why the hell nothing will move with the lower crankcase removed.
    Awesome, thanks!