FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: windshield wipers

windshield wipers

and on to the next item. When I got the car, my brother had wires and a remote switch to operate the wipers. At one point I took the control arm for the wipers out thinking it to be bad. I tested the continuity with it in the different posiotions. And with my limited knowledge believe the lever to be good as I would get continuity at different wires in different positions. So I concluded it to be the pricey relay. Ordered it put it in and I had wipers. Never realy used them a couple times on by accident. Then one day they were operating in delay mode so to speak. Couldnt turn them off. Finally got home and then they were off. Then the other day I got caught in the rain, and yup they didnt work. So did I get a bad relay, wiper motor drawing too much or in fact the wiper lever is bad in some fashion?? Dont want to buy another 65 dollar relay, rather not re run the wires and switch. Thanks for any help.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by northeast dmc View Post
    and on to the next item.
    Does this mean you got the AC, kickdown switch and throttle issues squared away??

Quote Originally Posted by northeast dmc View Post
    When I got the car, my brother had wires and a remote switch to operate the wipers. At one point I took the control arm for the wipers out thinking it to be bad. I tested the continuity with it in the different posiotions. And with my limited knowledge believe the lever to be good as I would get continuity at different wires in different positions. So I concluded it to be the pricey relay. Ordered it put it in and I had wipers. Never realy used them a couple times on by accident. Then one day they were operating in delay mode so to speak. Couldnt turn them off. Finally got home and then they were off. Then the other day I got caught in the rain, and yup they didnt work. So did I get a bad relay, wiper motor drawing too much or in fact the wiper lever is bad in some fashion?? Dont want to buy another 65 dollar relay, rather not re run the wires and switch. Thanks for any help.
    If you suspect it quit becasue it was drawing too much, check the fuse. If it's ok, check for power at the fuse.
    You can test the motor:
    Unplug all connections to the control box. Turn the key on.
    Connect a probe light (or voltmeter) to the (B)lack wire.
    You should have:
    12V on the 5 wire plug's (G)reen wire.
    Jumping the G wire to the LGB makes the washer motor run.
    Jumping the G wire to any other wire in the plug makes the wiper motor run.

Wiper.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Does this mean you got the AC, kickdown switch and throttle issues squared away??

If you suspect it quit becasue it was drawing too much, check the fuse. If it's ok, check for power at the fuse.
    You can test the motor:
    Unplug all connections to the control box. Turn the key on.
    Connect a probe light (or voltmeter) to the (B)lack wire.
    You should have:
    12V on the 5 wire plug's (G)reen wire.
    Jumping the G wire to the LGB makes the washer motor run.
    Jumping the G wire to any other wire in the plug makes the wiper motor run.

Wiper.jpg
    Update, since posting the messsage, I took the relay apart looking for anything obvious, nothing to see, put it back together, and for ha ha's plugged it back in connected the ground and the wipers work. Regarding the other items, the A/C is down to me finding the reason the hotwater shutoff isnt working, took the position switch out and all hoses connected and appeared to be good, the idle will be looked at tonight to verify the springs are good or not, and the kickdown at quick glance looked like the plungers if you will were out on there own. Again I will check and test them tonight, or tomorrow morning. Thanks for the diagram and info.