FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Looking for part numbers for turbo

My VIN:    16064

Looking for part numbers for turbo

I have a twin turbo hook up that was purchased through Grady in 90's. Manufacturer was "Turbo Manifold Co." in Wheatley Hieghts, NY. (Picture of cover sheet attached)

I do not have the original bill of materials.

Does anyone know the manufacturer & part # of the turbos they used?

Any help you could provide would be appreciated.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    10270

Island used IHI RHB5 turbos, rather RHB5 center sections as they appear to have been sold in various configurations. They all have carbon (positive) seals as they are installed in draw-through config and the compressors are subject to vacuum. If you install an RHB5 with a dynamic seal you'll create a blue fog machine.

There were at least 3 different turbine housings supplied: PZ12, PZ15, PZ20.
    The 12 would have spooled faster, the 20 would have made more top end power.

Not sure about the compressor housings but they were probably all similar or the same.

They seem like they were OEMs turbos from something dinky like the Ford EXP or other contemporary similarly powered cars. The EXP made 120HP, so twins would make about 240HP.

I had a pair briefly and both wastegates were practically fused shut. I know one other owner currently with a similar issue. I tried to figure out the original source before going building a custom single turbo.

You posted that you were EFI curious, and to be honest this is the time to make that happen by adapting something less old & obscure. Then replumb the intake for blow-through, tune the car, and you'll be amazed at how much more responsive and efficient things can be.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Thanks for all this great info.
    We were told when we bought this package, that this was designed for John Delorean. They had a contract with him for the design.
    They would only sell after they knew the contract was over.

My VIN:    10270

Not sure I've heard that one before

The Island kit shared very minor similarities to the Legend Industries prototypes. Island kits typically have RBH5 VC30 turbos, I'm not sure what the last revision Legend motors ended up with, RHB52 something. Legend motors had forged pistons, different head bolts, head gaskets, ring package, things like that.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

We did add the forged pistons and set engine for the extra boost per kits direction.

FABombjoy thank you for all the info!
    Last edited by NorthEastJBD; 06-12-2020 at 08:03 AM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The Island Turbo Kit was created by a former employee of Legend Industries after the company went broke because DMC owed them a lot of money when they went broke. Originally he lived on Long Island NY. When he died his partner, Eleanor Rodgers, took over and ran it and then moved to Massachusetts. She ran it until she could no longer get the cast parts necessary for the kit. It is as bolt-on as he could design it but it does require some machining. With the cast pistons the boost must be limited to 5 psi. If you get forged pistons you can increase the boost but then you will break the transmission input shaft because it is 2 pieces with a coupler and pins. One piece shafts were offered but I don't know if they are available anymore. The ultimate would be a full blown EFI engine management system to control the boost, timing and spark advance, A/F ratio, limit RPM's, the whole engine. The control system using manifold pressure directly is too dangerous, especially if a waste gate sticks and you wind up over-boosting. If you want any further info PM me directly. I have a lot of documentation on the Island Turbo set up.
    David Teitelbaum