FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Megasquirt question for Eagle 3.0 conversion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    I think Josh and I both agree that whatever the solution, it would be nice if the MS2 and derivatives had just a couple more inputs and outputs.

I like MS3 as the software has more options, not necessarily the fully loaded MS3X as it is probably overkill for most.

Really my preference for the MS3 surrounds the hardware/software enabled by the faster CPU. It's new. It's hip. If you want to run AC control, there's a menu. If you want to run fan control, there's a menu. There's actually a lot of menus, for better or for worse, more than MS2.

The versioning system is a bit ambiguous too:
    Megasquirt - currently supported
    Megasquirt PCB: v3.0. Hobby through-hole component version. Pretty much everybody uses this or a 3.57
    Megasquirt PCB: v3.57 is the surface mount version, virtually identical but not offered as a solder-together kit

These are functionally identical. Both have the same clunky 37 pin connector which I think is not a great choice.

CPUs - plug in to either of the above PCBs
    Megasquirt v2: 24MHz HCS12 CPU, serial only communication
    Megasquirt v3: 50Mhz MC9S12XEP100 CPU, native USB and SD card logging. Needs a bigger box though.
    Megasquirt v3 with MS3X: An add-on card for Megasquirt v3 that gives you a TON of inputs/outputs, individual injector drivers, individual coil drivers.

Microsquirt
    Functionally similar to MS2, but in a proper enclosure and a real harness connector. Small, weatherproof.

Microsquirt but repurposed as an IO-box?
    Getting weird in here isn't it? If you have an MS3 CPU, you can flash a different firmware and connect an MS3 to a Microsquirt module for additional I/O
    https://www.msextra.com/product-rang...squirt-io-box/
    This might be better than the 3X add-on as you can drop it on at any time via the 2 wires of the CAN bus.

MS3-Pro, MSPNP and a whole bunch of OEM and engine specific boxes
    MS3X in a proper enclosure with a real harness. Or MS with engine-specific options are for LS motors, certain Fords, basically intended as plug & play ECU replacements.
    TBH these dangerously close in price to commercial solutions and probably of limited application in the DeLorean.
    Some good info here, thanks!

I already knew about the 3.0 and the 3.57 board differences (through hole VS SMD); through hole components are easier for most to assemble. I wish they offered the SMD in kit form as I have all the tools to assemble SMD boards. This is my first steps into working on a custom EFI system, I am still planning and designing it. I bought the EFI book most recommend on other EFI boards to read up on to properly design and tune an EFI system.

So is it not possible to create a kick up for the A/C or control the cooling fans using an MS2 or Squirt? I thought I read somewhere that another D owner hooked up some leads to the compressor circuit where it would signal the MS2 when the compressor was coming on to compensate the engine for the extra load, am I wrong?

EDIT: Found the A/C mod: http://www.tmproductions.com/repairs...p-modification. Looks like some jumper wires are needed on the MS2 board. I assume that the MS3 already has a dedicated port for the A/C and Fan control already? I would assume that the MS3 would already have this mod in place since the "proto" area is no longer there to accommodate some extra mods that were included into it.
    Last edited by dmcman73; 06-16-2020 at 09:16 AM.