Second go around on engine rebuild because I'm crazy and decided to take this on almost 10 years ago This time around though, I've cleaned up the liner seats like I should have the first time. See photos, left is clean, right still has burned crud.
IMG_1526.jpg

My current situation is that all liners, no matter how I swap them, are all within 0.001" of the block deck. With most being basically flush with the deck. Measured with straight edge+drop indicator (see photos) and follow up with a flashlight to really show that there is no (or next to no) light penetration between the straightedge+liner or straightedge+block..
IMG_1530.jpg IMG_1536.jpg IMG_1535.jpg

The liner was freely placed, not clamped down, but there was zero wobble. Final measurements will happen with the liner lightly held in place with clamps. But the problem is getting the correct protrusion/nip from the liners. If they are flush without shims, the yellow shims (0.13-0.16 mm) boarder on not being thick enough. The superseding metal shims from Volvo are 0.15 mm. And the shims from DPI are 0.0055" (~0.14 mm).

Whats the best way to move forward with this? Can I just use yellows (a "yes" answer to this makes me nervous unless there is some data behind it to back up that being on the low end/just under the measurement is still perfectly fine)? Are there known sets of thicker shims that are still compatible with the engine? Do I need to have 3-4 thou machined off the block? Did I completely botch the measurements somehow and need to redo it? Some other option I'm not considering?