FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Headliner dye

My VIN:    03572

Headliner dye

My headliners have a brownish color to them. I guess they should be light gray. Anyone had luck dyeing them? If so what did you use?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5999

I used a product on my carpets that might work for the headliners. It's called "Detail King Carpet Dye Concentrate." It's a water-based dye that you spray on the carpet and scrub with a brush to blend in. You will probably have to used multiple coats or a darker shade to cover the brownish spots. I used the "medium gray" color for my carpets, which is darker than the stock color for a Delorean with gray interior. But, I had some darker spots in the carpet that the lighter dye probably wouldn't have covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    My headliners have a brownish color to them. I guess they should be light gray. Anyone had luck dyeing them? If so what did you use?
    Dave
    You may have already, but before you use dye, try using Folex spot remover. It works well. I have taken out brown water stains with it. Always good to test, but I have not seen any bleaching or blotching on fabrics or carpet.

Ron
    Attached Images

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Some owners have had the fabric dry-cleaned. The problem is the foam backing that is glued to the fabric turns to dust. To maintain originality you can clean the foam off and reglue new foam to it before re-installing it. A lot of work, especially cleaning the cardboard backers. Most vendors just do away with the old backers and give you new ones with new fabric when you order the headliner kit. If your foam is still in good shape and you just have a few spots to clean, Folex or other good spot cleaners may be all you need.
    David Teitelbaum