FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: New center console LEDs showing through the AC panel

New center console LEDs showing through the AC panel

Hi, I just replaced my center console bulbs with LEDs but now I can see them shining through the black AC panel. I can basically see clearly the exact location of them behind the black panel. Any fixes for this? also another question My headlight switch, hazard switch and cigar lighter is not illuminated. Do you just pull the caps off of the headlight switch and hazard switch to replace the bulbs? not sure about the cigar lighter. Thanks!

My VIN:    05457

A picture of what you are describing would help, but it is possible your bulbs are just too bright and creating hotspots. You could try a small piece of black electrical tape on the part of the bulb that is facing the AC panel...assuming your LEDs don't run hot. That is what I did in my binnacle as I bought LEDs that were so bright my binnacle was blinding me at night.

For the headlight switch, if you pull the button face towards you it will come out and you can reach in and grab the bulb inside with needle nose pliers if you are careful.

The cigar lighter bulb is accessed most easily under the console. With the shifter plate out you should be able to feel around for it to pull it.

Some good reference photos are here: http://www.awildermode.com/2014/03/m...-delorean.html

You don't need to tear apart you headlight switch like he did if you don't want to. I did my hazard and headlight switch by simply pulling the face off.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    07164

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by HAVLIK6835 View Post
    Hi, I just replaced my center console bulbs with LEDs but now I can see them shining through the black AC panel. I can basically see clearly the exact location of them behind the black panel. Any fixes for this? also another question My headlight switch, hazard switch and cigar lighter is not illuminated. Do you just pull the caps off of the headlight switch and hazard switch to replace the bulbs? not sure about the cigar lighter. Thanks!
    Are you sure the bulbs haven't popped out of the holders ? I know my central console is always difficult to slot them in and when I put the plastic AC panel back in its easy for them to push the bulbs back which would results in them not been in the little tunnel.

Were the LED’s from a DeLorean vendor? It seems that some problems stem from the fact that people order generic LED’s that don’t quite match what is needed in the car as fas as placement of diodes is concerned.

The cigar lighter assembly can be pulled straight out of the console. You may need a small flathead screwdriver to help you. Once it’s out you’ll see the small bulb that sits in the green trim ring.
    Last edited by CFI; 06-18-2020 at 08:23 AM.

My VIN:    6409

Club(s):   (DOC-UK) (DOI)

I had the same issue. The reproduction a/c panel decal I bought was to blame.
    They are not opaque enough. Changed to the oem decal from Houston and it was sorted.

Check the connection for the cigar lighter bulb. If your center housing tunnel was off at any stage it can be easily forgotten to be pushed back on when reinstalling.

If the bulbs for the headlight and hazard switch are good, they won't light unless the rheostat connections are connected under the gear lever panel.

Shane
    Last edited by cis6409; 06-18-2020 at 10:10 AM.
    only from the past can we choose the correct path for the future...

Quote Originally Posted by er1c View Post
    Are you sure the bulbs haven't popped out of the holders ? I know my central console is always difficult to slot them in and when I put the plastic AC panel back in its easy for them to push the bulbs back which would results in them not been in the little tunnel.
    That could be an issue. I’ll look, are they bulbs supposed to extend as far as the bottom door lock/defrost/fan lights? The ones behind the panel stick out only a little past flush.

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Were the LED’s from a DeLorean vendor? It seems that some problems stem from the fact that people order generic LED’s that don’t quite match what is needed in the car as fas as placement of diodes is concerned.

The cigar lighter assembly can be pulled straight out of the console. You may need a small flathead screwdriver to help you. Once it’s out you’ll see the small bulb that sits in the green trim ring.
    Yeah from DeloreanGo

Quote Originally Posted by cis6409 View Post
    I had the same issue. The reproduction a/c panel decal I bought was to blame.
    They are not opaque enough. Changed to the oem decal from Houston and it was sorted.

Check the connection for the cigar lighter bulb. If your center housing tunnel was off at any stage it can be easily forgotten to be pushed back on when reinstalling.

If the bulbs for the headlight and hazard switch are good, they won't light unless the rheostat connections are connected under the gear lever panel.

Shane
    Thanks Shane, I’m not sure if my decal
    Is aftermarket or not but I did noticed when I put it back on the sticker on the corner bubbles up a little and created a white delamination mark which I colored in with a sharpie. Kind of annoying. Do you peel off the old sticker and replace with a dmc one or do you just lay it right on top?

My VIN:    6409

Club(s):   (DOC-UK) (DOI)

Peel off the old one and clean off any residue glue left behind. Then re stick the new one on.
    Last edited by cis6409; 06-18-2020 at 12:38 PM.
    only from the past can we choose the correct path for the future...

Quote Originally Posted by HAVLIK6835 View Post
    I think It’s a two parter. the bulbs are too bright and the decal too transparent so I put small circles of electrical tape in the holes where the LEDs go into the AC panel and that seems to work well, no longer see the lights shining through the back and the gauges are all lit up well. Thanks everyone for the help!