FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Alternative cable/harness route to the starter?

My VIN:    #1550

Alternative cable/harness route to the starter?

Hi!
    I was already dealing with the idea of installing a sport exhaust system since I bought my DeLorean. I did not like the tame sound of the engine and this spring I convinced my wife that it was the right time to buy one.
    I am just installing the new manifolds (headers) but there is not so much space on the right side, due to the cables running around to the starter. The brown cables are connected to the red cable!? I thought brown cables were used for ground...

The two big red cables were easly routed a better way, but there is a harness comming frome above, that is now dirctly running beside rear parts of the new manifold.

I took a photo of the connecton plate of the starter. I am talking about the brown cables, fixed with the nut.

I read about rerouting the harness so there will be no more cables running around the upper part of the throttle diversion and the right side of the timing cover.

Maybe you do have a routing map or some photos so I could get an idea how to do it. Or maybe you do have a link to a post where this question was discussed in the past.

Thank you in advance,

have a nice day,

Lars.

IMG_20200619_070627.jpg

My VIN:    4087

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

I found this thread very useful recently in tidying up the cables

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?2020-Battery-buss-bar

Thank you for the link!

Yes, that is quite that, what I was searching for.
    I tinkered on my DeLorean last night and stripped down the harness from the old tape.
    If I understand the harness right, 1) the big red cord from the battery is connected to the starter.
    2) The Jump Start Lead is also connected to the starter.
    3) From the starter there is a connection via smaller brown wires to the alternator.
    And 4) From the alternator there are 3 bigger brown wires that connect the aternator (looped from the starter ) all the way through the harness of the engine bay into the engine bay connector plate and from there to the electrical compartment with the fuses, relais, etc.

If this is right, the way from the battery to the electrical compartment (which is about 5" away from each other) is using a detour throug the complete engine bay which is about 50" long.

To make this more understandable, I created a figure, that is attached to this message.

I put a question mark to the position, where the connection point to the electrical compartment should be, if I am correct.

So I think I would buy some kind of distributor that David created himself and disconnet the three big cables running through the engine bay harness that connects the distributor to the engine bay connection point , so I would be able to remove the part of the engine bay harness that comes down from the right upper rear part, above the alternator.

What do you think of this idea?

I would also reroute the smaller cables in that harness that take the same way to the alternator, the magnetic switch of the starter and the oil sensor on the right side. One of that cables is doubled in the harness (blue/yellow), comming from the starter. I was on the engine bay connectors just able to find one blue/yellow cable. Does the doubled one connect somewhere else in the engine bay?
    Looking at the electrical plan I did not find an additional connection.

Thank you for your help,
    enjoy the weekend,

Lars

Harness eng bay.jpg

[QUOTE=larsmhh;258006]
    I would also reroute the smaller cables in that harness that take the same way to the alternator, the magnetic switch of the starter and the oil sensor on the right side. One of that cables is doubled in the harness (blue/yellow), comming from the starter. I was on the engine bay connectors just able to find one blue/yellow cable. Does the doubled one connect somewhere else in the engine bay?
    Looking at the electrical plan I did not find an additional connection.

Thank you for your help,
    enjoy the weekend,

Lars

I just carried out this job over the weekend. I also had double blue/yellow cables, one of them was hidden inside the old loom tape. I removed that and just use one cable.

The engine wiring is a lot tidier after those mods.

Hi dmc4087!
    Thank you for your reply.
    What do you exactly mean with "one of them was hidden inside the old loom tape"?
    The cable was doubled and suddenly one of the cables was cut off at one point and was just wrapped with tape?
    So I could simply reroot one of the blue-yellow cables from the blue church shape connector to the starter?

I do not plan to take the cables out of the harness. I wanted to cut the harness at one point (behind the throttle mechanics) when all cables went out that I did not want to reroot.
    On the other end I want to cut them off the church shape connectors in the right side bulkhead housing (and the 3 big brown cables from the 12 V transfer point) and stay with the harness as it is.

Thank you and best wishes,

Lars

Quote Originally Posted by larsmhh View Post
    Hi dmc4087!
    Thank you for your reply.
    What do you exactly mean with "one of them was hidden inside the old loom tape"?
    The cable was doubled and suddenly one of the cables was cut off at one point and was just wrapped with tape?
    Yep that's what I found! I'm not sure why it was like that though. It was the first time I had touched the wiring loom so it was either like that from the factory or done by the PO.

Quote Originally Posted by larsmhh View Post
    So I could simply reroot one of the blue-yellow cables from the blue church shape connector to the starter?

I do not plan to take the cables out of the harness. I wanted to cut the harness at one point (behind the throttle mechanics) when all cables went out that I did not want to reroot.
    On the other end I want to cut them off the church shape connectors in the right side bulkhead housing (and the 3 big brown cables from the 12 V transfer point) and stay with the harness as it is.

Thank you and best wishes,

Lars
    I am converting to carb so I was able to trim the wiring a fair bit. I was only left with 6 wires or so (not including my new power cables) so rerouting was not a problem.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Alternative cable/harness route to the starter?

Lars, just an FYI, the wiring in the Car was designed to British Standard Engineering color coding for automotive systems. Brown is the standard color for 12V always live feed wires. I posted the British Color coding index in the “ Resources “ section many years ago.

British Standard Wire Color Chart
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    Last edited by DMC5180; 06-24-2020 at 12:10 AM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Lars, just an FYI, the wiring in the Car was designed to British Standard Engineering color coding for automotive systems. Brown is the standard color for 12V always live feed wires. I posted the British Color coding index in the “ Resources “ section many years ago.

British Standard Wire Color Chart
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    Yes, but after Lucas got done with it, it is a mess. Lucas factory motto, Get home before dark". Lucas 3 position switch, 1) Off 2) Flicker 3) Dim There are more if you look them up.
    David Teitelbaum

Thank you for your repiles so far.
    I will start rerouting the wires on the weekend - hopefully the new cables arrive until then, which I ordered online.
    I do have to trust dmc4087, who stated, that one of the blue-yellow wires is simply cut off in the harness, while the other one is connected to the blue "church-shape" connector.
    I also ordered heat resistant cable grommets to protect the new wires from the quite near to them routed right manifold.
    Although I ordered the sport exhaust system from Ed Uding (delorean.eu), it is looking quite different to the sport exhaust system I found on pictures on google. The manifolds are quite short and just a little bent, while on the photographs the manifolds of the sport exhaust systems (with the right and left catalysts) are longer and much more bent. We will see...
    If I will have finished my job, I can publish some photos here, if you want.
    Best wishes,

Lars.

Hi!

I finished the rerouting of the cables yesterday evening and came to the point of deinstalling (or better: cutting) the the doubled blue-yellow cable. One of the two cables was connected to the blue church-shape connector, as supposed.
    The other one - dmc4087 reported, his cable ended cut off in the harness - is still a mystery to me. It seems not to bee cou off, because it does have constant 58 Ohms resistance (mesured to ground).
    Also if I shake bend the harness - it is always 58 Ohms...
    I do not yet know, what to do, especially as I cannot start up my DeLorean due to the not yet fully installed exhaust system.
    I also do not know, which effect this 58 Ohms connection did have to the "starter connection for ignition resistor bypassed relay".

If somebody could help me out, I would be very pleased - especially because the car is not yet reassambled.

Thanks in advance,

Lars

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast