FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brake master Cylinder

My VIN:    11789

Brake master Cylinder

I see that vendors sell a replacement Brake master Cylinder which has a bias of 32 front / 68 back, and is stated as being the original type cylinders fitted to DeLoreans. Ironically a 50 / 50 bias cylinder is also offered.

Has anybody on here tried both cylinders?
    If so what performed better ?
    Thanks
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

I have the 32/68 on mine and it stops like the original. No issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by D Knight View Post
    I have the 32/68 on mine and it stops like the original. No issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reply. The reason I'm asking is that I feel I have a brake issue. My car was bought as a project car. A previous owner fitted a non standard Lucas MC stamped FC2F 0795... A rare item with some but few hits on a search. I want to fit a replacement MC and wonder what would be the best bias MC to get, that would provide best performance.
    I understand why a bias of 68 would be used what with the engine placement. But if people say that a 50/50 bias has provided improved braking then I'm all for that.

Both MC's are similar in price.

I'd appreciate responses relating to the MC as I have all other aspects of the braking system well covered -
    Thanks.. I just don't want this thread sprouting arms n legs !!
    Last edited by SpudMurphy; 06-21-2020 at 05:31 AM.
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

Bump

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

The OE MC setup is fine.

In my experience the fronts lock up just before the rears do in a high speed max-braking situation. This is with OE F/R tire sizes, same make/model/tread/age tires F/R and an unmodified OE brake system

For a non-ABS system that's what chassis engineers strive for in a road car; nearly balanced F/R braking under this situation (thus min. stopping distance) yet without the rear end coming loose first once you "go too far".
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The OE MC setup is fine.

In my experience the fronts lock up just before the rears do in a high speed max-braking situation. This is with OE F/R tire sizes, same make/model/tread/age tires F/R and an unmodified OE brake system

For a non-ABS system that's what chassis engineers strive for in a road car; nearly balanced F/R braking under this situation (thus min. stopping distance) yet without the rear end coming loose first once you "go too far".
    Ok thanks Rich. Mine does not have an OE Master Cylinder on there ... a Lucas one that doesn't seem to be used by other DeLorean owners.

I'm thinking that changing the cylinder will help. So what with Dave's comments and now yours stating that the OE works pretty damn good if you are able to get the wheels locking - I Can't :-(

Was the OE version a 32/68 bias ?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Here is more discussion on the brake master cylinders: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?16...aster-cylinder
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    16409

Here is my take on the subject. All new brake masters sold by the vendors are made in China. Ultimately their service life will be shorter than the OEM part. I suggest you get a Brake Master off a 1979 Saab 99. They are generally made in Italy and will be of better quality. These are 50/50 bias however. They are also the least expensive option at around $80. If you'd prefer to keep it stock with the original bias, and get a quality part, then you need to talk to Rob Grady. He professionally rebuild the Brake Masters to better than new condition. His is the most expensive option but you will get a quality part.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Blanket statements are never a good thing.

___Our brake master cylinder bodies are cast in Southern Ohio. Engineered off an original Girling unit.

___ Our main body machine work is performed in Akron Ohio.

___ Our stainless ID sleeve is installed and honed to size in Akron Ohio.

___ Our plating is applied to the main body in Canton Ohio.

___ Our main internals are machined in Tallmadge Ohio.

___ Our internal seals are Cuyahoga Falls Ohio.

___The box that we put it in is manufactured in Ravenna Ohio.

___ Final assembly is in Tallmadge Ohio.

We have another batch in production now. We will also be offering a billet aluminum version as part of our SPEC brake package.

made in usa logo.png
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I don't know the answer to your question here at the end.

I assume DMCL and Lotus knew what they were doing when they spec'd that design.

Quote Originally Posted by SpudMurphy View Post
    Ok thanks Rich. Mine does not have an OE Master Cylinder on there....So what with Dave's comments and now yours stating that the OE works pretty damn good if you are able to get the wheels locking - I Can't :-(

Was the OE version a 32/68 bias ?
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast