FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Recommendations for upper/lower control arms with control arm support?

My VIN:    2823

Recommendations for upper/lower control arms with control arm support?

Ok so my 81 still has the original upper/lower control arms (and balljoints ) on it and as I'm driving it feels like the car is drifting a little from side to side and the alignment is good and it has 124k miles on it so, if nothing else, just for peace of mind, I want to replace the upper/lower control arms and have good things about adding a control arm setup. Basically replacing all the parts/bushings will prob be close to $2000. I was going to go this route, but I've also read that IF my upper/lower control arms are in good shape, then just beefing them up and replacing all the bushings and adding a control arm setup is almost as good. I don't know if I believe that, so that's why I'm checking here first. I also heard that certain control arm setups won't work with certain lower control arms? Any advice or recommendations on this subject would be appreciated.
    81 DeLorean w 4.3 Chevy Vortec engine mated to Porsche 915 transaxle

Sounds like it's time for new ball joints and bushings. You can box in the lower control arm (LCA) and add the outriggers to triangulate the LCA for further stability.

The only reason to change the upper control arm is if you want to add negative camber without modifying the OE arms.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by at88mph View Post
    ....as I'm driving it feels like the car is drifting a little from side to side and the alignment is good and it has 124k miles on it so...
    The OE suspension doesn't drift when things are set up right and nothing's worn. That is to say this isn't alone a reason for a suspension upgrade.

This symptom at that mileage may be a result of a worn steering rack. I assume the drifting is during straight-ahead situations on a road that isn't crowned (one that's completely level left-right).

Checking the b. joints is a safety item. Did you recently get the alignment done at a shop? The joints are easily checked - my shop checks them every time as part of a bi-annual alignment service.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Thanks for the replies guys The rack is fairly new (installed a new one about 4 years ago) and what really worries me is reading everything on the subject lol. I DEFINITELY want to replace my ball joints and all bushings at the least, but I've read all kinds of conflicting info from the newer ball joints sheering off, to the outriggers not letting the suspension travel like it should and it's really confusing I'd love to just have to box in the lca's and replace all the bushings with new poly bushings but I've even read that's not a good idea lol. I don't mind experimenting with new electrical stuff or engine upgrades as they usually won't kill ya but, I'm just a little nervous on the suspension bc if it fails at speed, it could mean death so, I'm just posting here to see after all these years of posts, and all the experience here what's the best route for me safety wise.
    If i can just replace bushings, then fine;
    if I need to replace to poly bushings, fine
    if I need to replace bushings/lca's fine....yadda yadda yadda lol.

Again, thanks so much for the replies and info! I definitely appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by at88mph View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys The rack is fairly new (installed a new one about 4 years ago) and what really worries me is reading everything on the subject lol. I DEFINITELY want to replace my ball joints and all bushings at the least, but I've read all kinds of conflicting info from the newer ball joints sheering off, to the outriggers not letting the suspension travel like it should and it's really confusing I'd love to just have to box in the lca's and replace all the bushings with new poly bushings but I've even read that's not a good idea lol. I don't mind experimenting with new electrical stuff or engine upgrades as they usually won't kill ya but, I'm just a little nervous on the suspension bc if it fails at speed, it could mean death so, I'm just posting here to see after all these years of posts, and all the experience here what's the best route for me safety wise.
    If i can just replace bushings, then fine;
    if I need to replace to poly bushings, fine
    if I need to replace bushings/lca's fine....yadda yadda yadda lol.

Again, thanks so much for the replies and info! I definitely appreciate it!
    I recently installed the DeLorean Industries coilover set all round, with their billet LCAs and lower control arm stabilizers. Everything feels very solid now, no wander under braking. The only regret/dislike is a little more harshness than I would like with low displacement/high speed bumps which I ascribe to the polyurethane top bushings. Rubber is a little more forgiving in that application. Everything else is awesome.
    1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

We offer the top stud bushings in both poly and rubber. We can send you out a set today of the rubber version if you would like. Just let us know!
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

First of all check your tires. Make sure the air pressure is correct. How old are they? If they are over 7 years old get them replaced. Next, with that kind of mileage worn parts are high on the list. Replace anything worn, probably best to just replace all the bushings and joints. Now you can do an alignment. With all of this done the car should go straight, not wander and feel very controllable. If it still isn't good enough then you can consider "upgrades". If you feel it tend to go to one side while braking, it is time to rebuild the brakes.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by gluaisrothaii View Post
    I recently installed the DeLorean Industries coilover set all round, with their billet LCAs and lower control arm stabilizers. Everything feels very solid now, no wander under braking. The only regret/dislike is a little more harshness than I would like with low displacement/high speed bumps which I ascribe to the polyurethane top bushings. Rubber is a little more forgiving in that application. Everything else is awesome.
    Hi Josh,
    I'll take you up on that- thanks!

Regards,
    Ken
    1981 DMC 12- Black
    VIN 46**
    Alameda CA

Thanks again everyone for all the replies! I just decided to leave it to a well recommended local shop to look over and see what's going on. Once I know, then I'll order whatever parts they recommend

One last thing, regardless of upper/lower control arms.....is the general consensus to go back with the stock rubber or go poly?

Thanks again!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Poly will give you a firmer feel but it is a harsher ride. If you must have poly then do the sway bar bushings on the frame and do the rest with rubber. This is a good compromise.
    David Teitelbaum