FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Door alignment

Door alignment

Ok, before I remove the door in an unprofessional way and cause myself alot of added grief. I have followed a door alignment process in which (short version) you remove the strut loosen the hinges remove the striker pins and then open and close, playing with the hinge bolts until they dont move, then one at a time put striker pins in and adjust. Well I have done this on several occasions, and each time the door closes pretty close to what I would call factory. Open and close seams look relatively uniform. Then I put the strut back in and..... well I wont use the words that come out when I do this. On a couple occasions, it wouldnt even close. I then try to readjust the striker pins and I can get close but still clunk, and catching. I had to walk away and reach out for help, because my temper getting the better of me. Thanks for any help... The next effort might require decaf coffee...

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

@$#%&! Door

got same problem, passenger door snicks...
    drivers door clunks....maybe we'll both learn something...

Neither of my doors close very well. Some day the car will be shipped to one of the DeLorean shops so they can have a go at it.

My VIN:    3937

Without knowing anything else about your car other than what you wrote here, this sounds to me like symptoms of a roof box that is separating. With our cars being 39 years old, this kind of repair is going to become more and more common, perhaps even expected.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Unless you have a very early car or the door was once removed or the car had an accident, you will not be able to align the door any better than the factory did it. As mentioned there are things to check like the roof box or trying to adjust the anchor pins. The door gets adjusted to the fiberglass tub NOT adjacent panels. Once the doors are set the other panels get adjusted to the doors. To remove a door you MUST remove the torsion bar FIRST! Failure to do that and you will damage the door, possibly beyond repair. Adjusting the hinges also means adding or removing shims. To adjust the door well you need new door seals that aren't flattened or old. The last thing you adjust are the anchor pins. Your goal is to get even pressure on the door seal when the door is closed and good alignment with the "A" pillar. If the hinges are worn or bent you will never get proper alignment.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Since you've moved the hinges already, try:
    Check the box. If OK, align the door to the tub.
    Adjust the torsion bar such that the door hangs open ~6-8".
    Install the strut BEFORE adjusting the pins.
    Always shut the door by pushing down with your hand even with the pull strap.

My VIN:    Early

Just tweaked my drivers door a little a few days ago to close a huge gap between it and the A pillar. I never adjusted that gap when I installed a new door in 2015.

Steps I do:

1.) Remove louvers and T panel.
    2.) Raise door and acquire help to untorque torsion bar. Also remove strut.
    3.) Remove strikers and note door alignment to the A pillar and weather stripping attached to body tub.
    4.) Loosen only one door hinge at a time and move in very small increments to achieve desired door position. You don’t want any part of the door rubbing the weather stripping, unless you want broken seals...

5.) Once door is aligned to tub, tighten hinges and reinstall torsion bar and strut.
    6.) Install one striker at a time and adjust as each as necessary.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

door alignment

Thanks to the responses and the support, at least I am not alone. Next attempt will be with decaf. And it sounds like I need to get the outer seals on first, the one suggested sequence talked about removing the outer seals first then doing the adjustment.

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by northeast dmc View Post
    Thanks to the responses and the support, at least I am not alone. Next attempt will be with decaf. And it sounds like I need to get the outer seals on first, the one suggested sequence talked about removing the outer seals first then doing the adjustment.
    No, you need to keep the outer seals off so you can adjust the panels afterwards.

You need to install the inner door seals.

When I said “weather stripping” above, I was referring to the inner seals.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

door alignment

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    No, you need to keep the outer seals off so you can adjust the panels afterwards.

You need to install the inner door seals.

When I said “weather stripping” above, I was referring to the inner seals.
    Ok thank you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast