FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Should I buy a DMC-12

Should I buy a DMC-12

Hi dmc lovers,

I need your help. I’m a total newbie with anything DMC related. I have been given the opportunity to purchase a 1981 DMC-12 from the original owner. It’s a manual transmission and has 50,000 miles and everything works except A/C. I was told the refrigerant leaked and never repaired. The other unknown is if the automatic locks are working. The car is has been in Southern California it’s entire life. Passing smog will also be an issue. Is this a good purchase for $25,000?

Thanks for helping out a Delorean newbie.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Sounds like a fair deal but be prepared to spend more than a few bucks to fix the A/C, the door locks and a LOT of other things. Best advice would be to have the car inspected by a shop if possible so you know the car's true condition and an estimate of what it will cost to get it all working.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks for the advice David T. Is DMC in Huntington Beach, CA a go to place for DMCTALK members?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by dmc711 View Post
    Thanks for the advice David T. Is DMC in Huntington Beach, CA a go to place for DMCTALK members?
    Sure if it is nearby to you. They should be able to smog the car too. In fact, they probably know the car because the PO probably took it there.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Sure if it is nearby to you. They should be able to smog the car too. In fact, they probably know the car because the PO probably took it there.
    Thanks!

This sounds like a good one since the frame will be rust free given where it lived. Provided it was garage kept, the rest of it should also be in decent shape cosmetically. It's also good to see some miles on it meaning it was driven, though do you know when most of the miles were put on? Ideally, the owner would have driven it sparingly its whole life up until now. The worst thing is when these cars sit for long period of time and can take agood amount of money and trouble shooting to be reliable again. However, at 25K with one owner, it sounds like a great deal. Just check out the crap Beverly Hills Car Club sells for 20-30K, and you should feel good. Let's see some pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Valley PD View Post
    This sounds like a good one since the frame will be rust free given where it lived. Provided it was garage kept, the rest of it should also be in decent shape cosmetically. It's also good to see some miles on it meaning it was driven, though do you know when most of the miles were put on? Ideally, the owner would have driven it sparingly its whole life up until now. The worst thing is when these cars sit for long period of time and can take agood amount of money and trouble shooting to be reliable again. However, at 25K with one owner, it sounds like a great deal. Just check out the crap Beverly Hills Car Club sells for 20-30K, and you should feel good. Let's see some pictures!
    Thanks Hill Valley PD. The owner told me it use to be his daily driver. I did see the crap Beverly Hills Car Clubs sells. Funny thing is I live 5 minutes away from them and I’m no where near Beverly Hills...lol. They are actually located near Downtown LA. I never considered a DMC until this opportunity presented itself and I’m trying to make sure I’m not making a impulse buy. Well I am making an impulse buy but asking the experts first.

My VIN:    16306

My car is at DMC California right now getting the window motors replaced. They also took it to get it's smog check for the year. They do good work, don't hesitate to take it to them if you need anything done you're not comfortable with.

If you do get the car and need to take it to them, make sure you call them first. They're currently closed to walk-ins due to covid so if they don't know you're coming, you might end up standing outside for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by ? ? ? ? View Post
    My car is at DMC California right now getting the window motors replaced. They also took it to get it's smog check for the year. They do good work, don't hesitate to take it to them if you need anything done you're not comfortable with.

If you do get the car and need to take it to them, make sure you call them first. They're currently closed to walk-ins due to covid so if they don't know you're coming, you might end up standing outside for awhile.
    Thank you for the advice