FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Radiator

Replacement Radiator

My original plastic radiator is starting to weep where the plastic meets the metal. I'm looking at replacement options. Both DeLorean Go and DMC have an aluminum replacement offering and both websites have disclaimer language saying some fitting, bending, and drilling may be required to fit. (Delorean Industries is showing out of stock). Is the cooling performance pretty similar for both products? Does anyone have experience comparing the ease of install for both. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Ron

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

We are trying to get caught up and are assembly as fast as we use on builds. Should be available again later this month. No fitment disclaimer for us though.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    10201

I have the pj Grady version with the DeLorean industries fan shroud. A couple of holes didn't line up perfect, so I just bolted the ones that did, then drilled out the radiator holes that didn't line up. Pretty minor drilling that was easy to do.

APRIL 81

My VIN:    952

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    We are trying to get caught up and are assembly as fast as we use on builds. Should be available again later this month. No fitment disclaimer for us though.
    Josh,

This is one of the questions I had for you. Fingers crossed you have available when I'm there in two weeks.

-Justin
    '86 BMW 325es
    '96 BMW M3
    '12 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    '81 DeLorean
    '21 Volvo XC40

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    A couple of holes didn't line up perfect, so I just bolted the ones that did, then drilled out the radiator holes that didn't line up. Pretty minor drilling that was easy to do.
    Same.

I have installed a Grady/Hervey and DMCHouson radiators into my car. [not at the same time :-) ]. Easy install. Using my original shroud on both. Just had to either open up a hole or make a new one on the shroud to make them fit perfectly.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I really like my deloreango radiator, keeps my car cool when paired with the VW fans.
    There are indeed fitment issues though. The whole radiator is slightly a parallelogram. Makes lining up the shroud difficult.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    05457

I have the DMC radiator with fans from Northwest. I bought my radiator about 6 years ago though so it may have been a different model. I had 0 issues with fit, other than the fact that there isn't a lot of room to work up front and a balancing act for a guy to remove and reinstall alone. No leaks yet!
    David Proehl

My VIN:    5999

I installed the DPI radiator/fan/shroud kit less than a month ago. Zero fitment issues. Quality product. My original side tanks were also starting to leak. The Deloreango disclaimer scared me off. I knew it was going to be a difficult enough job, without having to deal with additional fitment issues.

IMG_0661-2.jpg

All,
    I certainly appreciate your comments. They have been very helpful, so thanks to all.

Here's an additional question: The DMCH site has a knowledge base article on radiator replacement. In it they suggest that the rock screen may need to be replaced because the lower studs are usually rusted and often break off. The article indicates you must detach most of the rock screen to install a new radiator. I was surprised to read this. Does the rock screen really need to be "detached" for installation of a new radiator? My rock screen is original but in good shape. However, the lower nuts are rusted and it's likely some studs would break if removed. If they do, are there any remedies to attach a new studs to reuse the rock screen?

Thanks,
    Ron

My VIN:    03572

I never removed my rock screen when I replaced my radiator.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast