FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Museum find!

My VIN:    4328

Museum find!

I am currently in the process of acquiring the Delorean from the Tupelo auto museum, Vin 4328! I am currently talking with them about what they have done to the car since the auction to get it back to running condition. Will keep you posted! Any suggestions or comments are welcome as this will be my first delorean!

Thanks

Jay

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you are buying a Delorean from a museum you can expect that the car will be very clean BUT figure you will have to change all of the fluids and filters, probably replace the battery, the tires, wiper blades, and the struts. Once you get it to move you then have to see what else it needs. Probably A/C work, a tune-up, etc. A lot depends on what shape it was in when the museum got it and how long it was there. Don't be surprised if you wind up rebuilding the fuel system, brakes and clutch and cooling system. Those systems have fluids in them and after a long period of inactivity they start to corrode inside and leak. Make sure you get a "clean" Title and Bill of Sale and it is all in proper order. Buy Espey's book from DMCH. Before you move it, get insurance on it. Avoid the temptation to just pour fresh fuel in and try to start it up. The tank should be cleaned out and anything rotten (pump, hoses, boots) replaced.
    David Teitelbaum

So far it has new tires, new door shocks, new battery, fuel tank has been flushed and cleaned, new fuel pump, new converter assembly, all new fuel lines from the fuel pump back to the engine, new fuel filter and fixed wiring issues with fuel pump. Fuel distributor was sent to DMCH to get rebuilt. New braided fuel lines from distributor to injectors and new fuel injectors. Also oil change and coolant flush.

My VIN:    10201

When I got my car, it had a "new" fuel pump, but it was not a correct one. Be wary that someone may throw bandaid fixes on the car to get it to a sellable condition. I'd check tire sizes and date codes on them. Sending parts to a delorean vendor for rebuild is a good sign though.

Sounds like they are trying to do the "right" thing and get the car into running shape. Just have to hope that whoever is doing the work knows what he is doing. In any case expect to have to do things once you get it. They aren't going to make it new again. If the car was sitting for a long time and the brake fluid was never flushed expect to rebuild the brakes. Once you start using the car they will leak all over. Clutch too.
    David Teitelbaum

What am I looking at in rebuilding the brakes? What about the clutch?

If the brake fluid is dark and thick looking, it corroded the insides of the brake calipers and master cylinder. Once you start driving the seals will leak. The fix is to rebuild or replace the 4 calipers and the master cylinder and flush the system of all of the old fluid. For the clutch, same deal. Replace the master and slave cylinders and if you still have the original plastic line, replace that with a stainless steel braided hose. On cars that have sat long periods of time the throwout bearing often starts to make noise and that means removing the transmission to replace the clutch. You can look up the parts prices yourself. If you do your own labor you can save a lot of money. Cars are not like paintings. They don't age well even in a museum without maintenance or at least the proper preparations before long term storage.
    David Teitelbaum

Dave, thank you for all the info you have provided to me so far! I have just found out that the car sat in the museum for 20+ years but prior to being sent to the museum all fluids were drained from the vehicle. It is getting a new Clutch master cylinder and Clutch slave cylinder as well anyways before clutch fluid is added back into the system. As far as the brakes they will be adding new brake fluid and bleeding the system so they will be able to tell if there are any leaks once that happens.

Sounds like the car was well prepared when they got it and they are doing the right steps to get it going. You should not have many problems but if the brakes are going to leak it won't happen right away, it takes a little bit of driving.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by TheStoot View Post
    I am currently in the process of acquiring the Delorean from the Tupelo auto museum, Vin 4328! I am currently talking with them about what they have done to the car since the auction to get it back to running condition. Will keep you posted! Any suggestions or comments are welcome as this will be my first delorean!

Thanks

Jay
    Tupelo ? near Memphis ? :-D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast