FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Shirt in Aircon system

Shirt in Aircon system

I have the car at the aircon place and what happens is as soon as the mode switch is turned it blows the fuse. At this stage the compressor is unplugged.

Can anyone tell me a good place to start looking?

Thanks

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Odds are the fan motor is bad. Disconnect the KB (Pink with Black stripe) wire at the motor to check.
    If it still blows the fuse, try disconnecting the mode switch's KO (Pink/Orange) or LG (light green) wire to see which has a short to ground.

Thanks,

Looking at the schematic there not a lot of things that would cause this?

If the fan switch is off and the fuse still blows I’m assuming it’s not the fan.

The compressor is unplugged so it’s not that.

There is a capacitor off the mode switch which is a .1uf and a .5uf off the low pressure switch. Either of these going closed circuit will cause this. Can some advise where these 2 capacitors are?

Finally more of another question there is a diode off the mode switch going to a bulb when goes to the inertia switch. What is the purpose for this?

Thanks

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There is a good mini diagram of the air conditioning circuit in the Workshop Manual at M:18:19. Unusual for the fuse to blow but not impossible, after all it is there to protect the wiring if something goes wrong. As Ron suggested, the blower motor is a good place to start. If you suspect the caps just disconnect them. They are only there to control noise for the radio.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks

Do you know where the caps are?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Not sure where they are but I wouldn't get preoccupied by them. They don't seem to go bad and even if they did short out I would guess they would just burn up. More common for them to fail open. Does the blower motor even work at all or does the fuse just blow? If the fuse just blows, disconnect the fan motor as per Ron and see what happens.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    Thanks,

Looking at the schematic there not a lot of things that would cause this?

If the fan switch is off and the fuse still blows I’m assuming it’s not the fan.
    Yes. And, if the the switch is good, the short is on the KO wire.

The compressor is unplugged so it’s not that.
    Then it is from the KO wire or the K wire it joins at the low pressure switch. Anything after the K wire's diode could supply the short, and probably cause other problems.

There is a capacitor off the mode switch which is a .1uf and a .5uf off the low pressure switch. Either of these going closed circuit will cause this. Can some advise where these 2 capacitors are?
    I agree with David -- Not likely...

Finally more of another question there is a diode off the mode switch going to a bulb when goes to the inertia switch. What is the purpose for this?
    Short answer- The diode prevents power on the door lock bulb's NK wire from back feeding through the bulb...The mode switch would have to be on, the key off, and the doors unlocked.