FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sharing my Dynamat project

My VIN:    16563

Sharing my Dynamat project

Hey guys,

I thought I would start sharing my progress from current to completion. To catch you all up my car runs perfectly, upgraded fuel pump, radiator and fans, fuel lines etc. Anyhow I have been hung up on the interior being done for several years. Anyone that it is fanatical about detail will know that the correct way to get the A pillars for example is to wrap the material around on to the pillar and install the windshield over the material. So I removed the old discolored windshield and am going to have all the panels reupholstered and install properly. Then the last task will be to have DMC use the jig to install the new windshield and the headliner. So in the meantime I figured I would remove all pieces and clean everything to remove old dirt and old smells and lay Dynamat down to prep for the interior install. Her are the pictures so far. I have read a couple guys doing this and the general feeling it seems is that it didnt make much of a difference. However I am really getting every nook and cranny so Im excited for the result.
    Attached Images
    1983 Delorean-auto, black/gray int. 38k miles

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Nice work! I am slowly doing the same thing on mine however I am also going to replace the old padding with a Dyna-Pad type of material ontop of my Noico behind the rear panel and on the rear parcel shelf.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

My VIN:    1710

My first DeLorean had Dynamat installed under the carpet, and my second one didn't. While I agree that the Dynamat car wasn't significantly quieter, it was definitely less "boomy" inside. The fiberglass tub on these cars almost acts as a giant bass speaker for certain impacts/resonances. For instance, after buying DeLorean #2 I noticed I could hear and especially feel every time my radiator fans kicked on and off. That's not something I ever really noticed in my first car.
    Louie Golden

Quote Originally Posted by JBaker4981 View Post
    Nice work! I am slowly doing the same thing on mine however I am also going to replace the old padding with a Dyna-Pad type of material ontop of my Noico behind the rear panel and on the rear parcel shelf.
    I will probably do that also, but I wanted the harder thinner dynamat on there first before I add anything thicker ......Honestly at this point why NOT add anything I can for sound dampening. I will also tackle wire management and replacing any clips etc

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    My first DeLorean had Dynamat installed under the carpet, and my second one didn't. While I agree that the Dynamat car wasn't significantly quieter, it was definitely less "boomy" inside. The fiberglass tub on these cars almost acts as a giant bass speaker for certain impacts/resonances. For instance, after buying DeLorean #2 I noticed I could hear and especially feel every time my radiator fans kicked on and off. That's not something I ever really noticed in my first car.
    Ive seen plenty of dynamat installs in my day and know that the majority are quite sparce in the material itself either for cost effectivness or under the impression that it doesnt need total coverage. I am leaving no surface undone. So ill hope for the best. Either way at worst case its only $500 in material and a day of my time. I hope ill be happy with the result

My VIN:    5510

Definitely interested to follow this!!

My main issue with the interior isn't sound issues, but the SMELL. This thing smells like an old boat on the inside. I've heard that the foam or maybe the adhesive used to hold down the foam is the main culprit - but I'm interested to hear if you noticed a big change in the smell of the car when you ripped everything out and put down the dynamat?

Quote Originally Posted by CyberBill View Post
    Definitely interested to follow this!!

My main issue with the interior isn't sound issues, but the SMELL. This thing smells like an old boat on the inside. I've heard that the foam or maybe the adhesive used to hold down the foam is the main culprit - but I'm interested to hear if you noticed a big change in the smell of the car when you ripped everything out and put down the dynamat?
    The musky smell is something DMC mentioned also about the perk of doing this. I cleaned and prepped the floor with simple green and pinesol. I already noticed the difference. It would seem that the smell is a combination of old padding and the grime that gets under the upholstery. Considering Im getting a new carpet kit and all interior pieces reupholstered, I wanted the the smell to be a fresh smell and not a hint of the old musky smell. That combination reminds me of the smell of Shi-breeze lol
    Ill let you guess what thats the combination of.

My VIN:    10270

The smell is almost certainly the carpet foam backing.

You have the two big pieces under the floor carpets, and the other under the parcel shelf. I've removed 2/3 and it has all but vanished.

TBH I miss the smell. But mine was still somewhat "eau de DMC" and not "musky old boat stored in a barn" LOL
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    4519

+1 on the foam.

I've had great success eliminating the odor in my first 2 cars, will soon repeat the process for my 3rd:

I remove all the carpets except near the doors. Soak overnight in a big tub with OxyClean laundry detergent, rinse with a pressure sprayer in my driveway, and dry in the sun.

I use the same cleaning solution on the carpets near the doors, then rinse using a pressure sprayer & shop vac.

I might try a Hoover mini steam cleaner this time on the pieces left in the car....Jimmy had a good result.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I did a 100% interior Dynamat project back in 2012 and can definitely agree with what others have said: it didn't make the car quiet, by any means, but the effect of "Stuck a 20 gallon rubbermaid tub over my head and beat it with rubber mallets" was much less afterwards

FWIW, and you may find the same - I had to cut away sections between the seat track mounting posts, as it was just thick enough to interfere with the seat sliding.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast