FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Painted square on windshield

My VIN:    10207

Painted square on windshield

Hi guys,

I have a really annoying problem with my beloved 10207.
    Somehow the painted square on the windshield has gotten scratched, thinking I could remove it I've scratched it even worse, and now it looks... ....bad.

Even when I try to repaint it (from the inside!) I still can't make the scratches go away when looked at from the outside. So I'm kinda stuck here: I don't want to make this look even worse, I don't want it to look this way and haven't tried installing the rearview mirror for that same reason. Also, I don't really feel much like driving down to Netherlands or Germany to have the windshield replaced, just for the sake of a small square patch of paint.

Any suggestions on how to fix this without getting a new windshield?

DSC_0012.jpgDSC_0006.jpg

Cheers.

My VIN:    3771

I wonder if it's possible to fill those little scratches with that transparent UV-cured resin for repairing small impact marks. If not, I'd just paint same sqare on the outside with some hard black enamel. The only other option would be to remove the scratches by sanding/polishing the inner glass layer.

My VIN:    3937

Is the idea for the mirror to attach directly to that little black square? (using one of those sticky pads/ or some 3M tape). Reason I ask is I have my mirror off at the moment and that square is very smooth on my car. So smooth I started to wonder if the adhesive would stick to it or not, like maybe I was missing some additional layer of something?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Is the idea for the mirror to attach directly to that little black square? (using one of those sticky pads/ or some 3M tape). Reason I ask is I have my mirror off at the moment and that square is very smooth on my car. So smooth I started to wonder if the adhesive would stick to it or not, like maybe I was missing some additional layer of something?
    You did not miss anything. You're on the right track. It is attached using a thin, high strength double-sided adhesive foam pad.

Buy one of these, then carefully apply one side of the adhesive pad to the black patch after cleaning the black patch with alcohol. Clean the mirror mount base with alcohol and press it onto the adhesive pad.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

The photos help a lot. You need a new windshield to make the car look normal.

A previous owner left a mess, probably from trying to remove the black "paint" from the glass. The problem with that approach is that the black "paint" is really black glass which is permanently fused onto the clear glass during windshield fabrication.

Any chance to abrade the black glass off and then polish the abraded area to look clear is gone now because the new scratches are deep into the clear glass. If you abrade the glass deeply to remove the new scratches then after polishing this area you will have a funny-looking wavy lens in this area. And there is the chance the glass will be weakened and crack.

As Rhye suggests an exterior paint may be an answer. The scratches will not be seen from outside. What you will see from the outside will probably not look normal. Test the look by temporarily applying a patch of flat black tape over the scratched area - look at it under various lighting and viewing conditions. You may or may not like what you see.

No advice about painting exterior glass. Ask a glass repair shop for advice, especially about glass primer which is not the same as metal primer. I also set aside the issues of the passenger wiper over the paint, cleaning the paint with glass cleaner and safety inspections in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWin View Post
    Hi guys,

Somehow the painted square on the windshield has gotten scratched, thinking I could remove it I've scratched it even worse, and now it looks... ....bad.

DSC_0012.jpgDSC_0006.jpg

Cheers.

My VIN:    2678

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You did not miss anything. You're on the right track. It is attached using a thin, high strength double-sided adhesive foam pad.

Buy one of these, then carefully apply one side of the adhesive pad to the black patch after cleaning the black patch with alcohol. Clean the mirror mount base with alcohol and press it onto the adhesive pad.
    Ford used the same method to install the rear view mirror in a small car named Ford Fiesta (in Germany). And maybe on some other cars. I went to a Ford dealer and asked for a replacement pad. But I don't remember how much it cost.

Peter
    Always a filled fuel tank.

My VIN:    2678

Quote Originally Posted by DrWin View Post
    Hi guys,

Even when I try to repaint it (from the inside!) I still can't make the scratches go away when looked at from the outside. So I'm kinda stuck here: I don't want to make this look even worse, I don't want it to look this way and haven't tried installing the rearview mirror for that same reason. Also, I don't really feel much like driving down to Netherlands or Germany to have the windshield replaced, just for the sake of a small square patch of paint.

DSC_0012.jpgDSC_0006.jpg

Cheers.
    Maybe you don't need to fix it. Try to work around. Apply a DMC-related sticker or some funny sticker on the outside onto the wind shield. A more expensive sticker would be that one.

When re-installing the rear view mirror, make sure you are using one of those double sided adhesive pads. Don't use a glue. Or your windshield will crack soon.

Peter
    Last edited by pk2678; 08-16-2020 at 02:50 AM.
    Always a filled fuel tank.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by pk2678 View Post
    Maybe you don't need to fix it. Try to work around. Apply a DMC-related sticker or some funny sticker on the outside onto the wind shield. A more expensive sticker would be that one.

When re-installing the rear view mirror, make sure you are using one of those double sided adhesive pads. Don't use a glue. Or your windshield will crack soon.

Peter
    Nice idea!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Nice idea!

Quote Originally Posted by pk2678 View Post
    [Snip]
    Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Nice idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    +1
    +2

I have never seen that before... That is one cool sticker! A bit obtrusive, but cool!

Thomas
    Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast