FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: front console cover flare

My VIN:    10XXX

Club(s):   (DCF)

front console cover flare

Near the front of the car, at shin level, my console cover has flared on both sides. Just at the "wing" area. See picture. This happened when the previous owner took the car to a stereo shop and they kept pulling back on this part to get their hands up behind the radio/console dash.

I have been thinking of putting a screw into it into the hump (using one of those grey plastic snap on covers to cover the head), pulling it in towards the hump. I could also peel back the vinyl at the corner and put the screw in and tighten it up to about 1/2 inch of the carpet then fold the vinyl back and glue it to the board.

Is there anything inside the hump that I could damage by drilling a small hole?

In its current state is is not ugly per se, it just bugs me. I have attempted to coax it back from its warped shape to no avail.

Other suggestions welcome.

IMG_3072.jpg
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL
    1982 automatic, VIN 10XXX, grey int

Previous: VIN 5983, VIN 3670
    Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

My VIN:    03572

I remember doing that many years ago. Just don't let your drill go to far after it penetrates the tub.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

It’s a common problem. Whatever backing material was originally used ends up warping over time. I recently read that someone used picture hanging hooks to pull the flared parts in. You could also try powerful magnets, although attaching one to the back of the console material may prove difficult. I’ve considered pulling the console out and reinforcing that area with a thin piece of metal to straighten it and prevent it from warping again. I’ll probably just do what you mentioned and screw it down.

My VIN:    1710

If the warped console flare bothers you now, seeing a screw (even if it has one of those covers) will make you crazy too. Invariably the color & texture won't match the vinyl, and it will cause the vinyl to dimple around the screw/cover.

I'd figure out something invisible. Perhaps affix some high-strength Velcro to the back of the console cover, and then figure out a way to affix the other piece of Velcro to the carpeted area behind the console cover (if you affixed THAT piece of Velcro to the tub with a screw, at least it would be hidden behind the console cover).

Just some ideas... hopefully you can come up with a solution that will work & won't drive you crazy.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    03572

I like the idea of a latch (just some L shape) screwed way back. Something that would be easy to 3D print in black or gray resin.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    4665

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post

I'd figure out something invisible. Perhaps affix some high-strength Velcro to the back of the console cover, and then figure out a way to affix the other piece of Velcro to the carpeted area behind the console cover (if you affixed THAT piece of Velcro to the tub with a screw, at least it would be hidden behind the console cover).
    I really like this Velcro idea. The industrial Velcro is self adhesive. You could stick one side to the cover, and the other mating piece to the carpet under it for an invisible fix. I'm doing this later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    If the warped console flare bothers you now, seeing a screw (even if it has one of those covers) will make you crazy too.
    Thankfully I do not fall into that category. The car is full of quirks. The concourse guys can spend their lives fixing every tiny detail but I’ve got better things to do.

Quote Originally Posted by iflights View Post
    I really like this Velcro idea. The industrial Velcro is self adhesive. You could stick one side to the cover, and the other mating piece to the carpet under it for an invisible fix. I'm doing this later tonight.
    This would only work as long as the carpeting is affixed in place, otherwise the console piece would just pull the carpeting away from the tub. Also, how well does the adhesive on Velcro stick to carpet?

My VIN:    17097 Canadian Edition

Club(s):   (DOI)

It's a common problem.

I tried to deal with this problem many many times. Eventually, I gave up. Having said that, it still annoys me and I'd still like to get those corners in tight.
    Take a look at this: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...-to-fit-Better

.....Mike.....

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    This would only work as long as the carpeting is affixed in place, otherwise the console piece would just pull the carpeting away from the tub. Also, how well does the adhesive on Velcro stick to carpet?
    This is why I was suggesting the piece of Velcro on the carpet side might need to be anchored to the tub with a screw or something. If a big enough piece of high-strength Velcro is used, there would still be plenty of contact patch despite a screw head being present.
    Louie Golden

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast