FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cooling fans

Cooling fans

Hello again, I have been enjoying driving the car, my question/concern is after driving for a while the temperature creeps to around 220 or just over. It will stay in that area, depending on driving conditions. The other day when I got back from picking up pizza, as I pulled into the barn, with the temperature at or just over 220, I could hear the cooling fans coming on and off. On for maybe 10 seconds then off and then back on. Should I suspect the fans or the fan relay?? Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by northeast dmc View Post
    Hello again, I have been enjoying driving the car, my question/concern is after driving for a while the temperature creeps to around 220 or just over. It will stay in that area, depending on driving conditions. The other day when I got back from picking up pizza, as I pulled into the barn, with the temperature at or just over 220, I could hear the cooling fans coming on and off. On for maybe 10 seconds then off and then back on. Should I suspect the fans or the fan relay?? Thanks for any help.
    Was the AC on? That will cause radiator fan cycling.
    220 seems high if the car is moving. Mine will only get that high if I’m sitting in traffic with the AC off. I highly recommend that at the very least you install one of Dave McKeens fan relays. It will prevent the fans from cycling so often, which is very hard on the electrical system (there is a huge jump in amps required when those fans first spin up).

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Make sure you have the uprated cooling fan circuit breaker or the fans will go on and off because the circuit breaker is cycling on and off. The temperature gauge may not be as accurate as you think. The otterstadt switch is what should be controlling the fans unless the A/C is on and cycling.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3937

Keep in mind not all otterstats are created equal. I bought a replacement last season and realized that the on/off temperatures were not the same as the one I took out. I don't remember the specifics of what those temperatures were. They are stamped right on the otterstat though.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Junior Member LimitedRunDouglas's Avatar

My VIN:    16677

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Make sure you have the uprated cooling fan circuit breaker or the fans will go on and off because the circuit breaker is cycling on and off. The temperature gauge may not be as accurate as you think. The otterstadt switch is what should be controlling the fans unless the A/C is on and cycling.
    Does the Delorean website sell this upgrade? Can you link it?
    Proud Owner of 16677

Twitter: @limitedrundoug

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Before you buy it you should check if you already have it. The vendors call it their relay and circuit breaker upgrade kit. Depending on which vendor you go to, the number of relays can vary along with the type of circuit breakers.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Before you buy it you should check if you already have it. The vendors call it their relay and circuit breaker upgrade kit. Depending on which vendor you go to, the number of relays can vary along with the type of circuit breakers.
    Yes, just pull the breaker up and look if it says 40 amps. It's the breaker with only two heavy gauge wires.

One thing to note, I just had a user contact me because his 20 amp fuses are sometimes blowing on his fan fail. So his OEM fans have really gone bad. So even a 40 amp breaker may be tripping with OEM fans.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 08-14-2020 at 01:23 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

cooling

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Was the AC on? That will cause radiator fan cycling.
    220 seems high if the car is moving. Mine will only get that high if I’m sitting in traffic with the AC off. I highly recommend that at the very least you install one of Dave McKeens fan relays. It will prevent the fans from cycling so often, which is very hard on the electrical system (there is a huge jump in amps required when those fans first spin up).
    I did turn the A/C off just before I got home so I could make sure that wasnt in the mix. I will check the relay, I have a lot of different stuff from different sources. The temperature used to stay fairly consistent. If I dont have any luck with the relay I will try the otterstat and hotwire the pins to see if the fans stay on then. Thanks again to all the input.

cooling

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Yes, just pull the breaker up and look if it says 40 amps. It's the breaker with only two heavy gauge wires.

One thing to note, I just had a user contact me because his 20 amp fuses are sometimes blowing on his fan fail. So his OEM fans have really gone bad. So even a 40 amp breaker may be tripping with OEM fans.
    Well I had an occasion to take the car out this afternoon. And as has been the case the temp got up to around 220. On the way home I drove without the A/C to see what the temp would do. When I got home the temp according to the gauge was at or real close to 220. And the fans where on then off and with different duration. I turned the a/c on and the fans would come on. I then turned the a/c off and the fans resumed that intermittent on and off. So I decided to jump the connection on the otterstat, and the fans came on and stayed as long as I could maintain the connection. I crossed the spades with a wrench wasnt putting my hand down there to pull the terminals off. When I did this the a/c clutch kicked on every time I made this connection. Not sure if it should be doing that, and what it might mean. I will make a jumper up so I can make a better connection for the next research. I am thinking the otterstat might be the culprit, or as has been mentioned possibly the temp gauge. I am going to side with the temp gauge to be cautious.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by northeast dmc View Post
    Well I had an occasion to take the car out this afternoon. And as has been the case the temp got up to around 220. On the way home I drove without the A/C to see what the temp would do. When I got home the temp according to the gauge was at or real close to 220. And the fans where on then off and with different duration. I turned the a/c on and the fans would come on. I then turned the a/c off and the fans resumed that intermittent on and off. So I decided to jump the connection on the otterstat, and the fans came on and stayed as long as I could maintain the connection. I crossed the spades with a wrench wasnt putting my hand down there to pull the terminals off. When I did this the a/c clutch kicked on every time I made this connection. Not sure if it should be doing that, and what it might mean. I will make a jumper up so I can make a better connection for the next research. I am thinking the otterstat might be the culprit, or as has been mentioned possibly the temp gauge. I am going to side with the temp gauge to be cautious.
    It does point to the otterstat but I've not heard of a bad one causing intermittent operation but I guess it's possible.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast