FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Test drive of Renault Alpine (powered by the PRV V6)

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Test drive of Renault Alpine (powered by the PRV V6)

Same engine as the Delorean but with more horsepower.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=I...&v=3GNnaSRsZ-s

My VIN:    15275

nice...

did u also hear he says the car weighs about 2800 lbs .. which is about the same as the dmc.. but people criticize the shit out of the dmc and say how heavy it is etc.. makes no sense....

Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    did u also hear he says the car weighs about 2800 lbs .. which is about the same as the dmc.. but people criticize the shit out of the dmc and say how heavy it is etc.. makes no sense....
    Hoovie himself said the DeLorean was heavy. Just another example of someone recycling the same bad info without verifying it.

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Hoovie himself said the DeLorean was heavy. Just another example of someone recycling the same bad info without verifying it.
    Being a former DeLorean owner himself, you think he'd know that DeLoreans and A310s are roughly the same weight. Though I suspect Hoovie really just choses his cars on the basis of their ability to generate clicks/views, and doesn't really care much about them beyond that. This A310 video really showcases that, with that awkward 2-minute infomercial he does for the VPN. It's also funny how he makes fun of the DeLorean for having "all those extra hoses and lines" in the engine compartment... then goes on to speak about the A310 being carbureted. You think he would have put those two bits of information together...

In any event, the DeLorean's steering effort really doesn't have a lot to do with the vehicle's weight or lack of power steering. It all comes down to tire pressures. The rear tires are recommended to be inflated 50% higher than the fronts. Any DeLorean owner who has ever aired their front tires up to 32 PSI for giggles is astonished at how easy the car is to steer.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I think the Renault Alpine is okay, but it reminds me of the Fuego. I can think of other 1985 cars that I would rather have.

Otherwise, I agree with what has been said so far. In addition the car is a 1985 which is two to three years later than the DeLorean in development time. In 1985 if the DMC company had survived, there would've been a Legend twin turbo version and likely improved performance of the stock PRV. Also the Renault Alpine was not imported to the United States therefore it didn't have to conform to the US emissions standards. Therefore it is an apples to oranges comparison.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    3771

Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    did u also hear he says the car weighs about 2800 lbs .. which is about the same as the dmc..
    I know it's obvious but the Alpine has to carry 2 more passengers - this adds some weight to the chassis/body structure for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhye View Post
    I know it's obvious but the Alpine has to carry 2 more passengers - this adds some weight to the chassis/body structure for sure.
    That is true. But Hoovie says the Alpine is light, and the the DeLorean is heavy. It would be nice if someone with his popularity could take the time to give factual information, instead of just spewing the same old cliches we hear again and again about the DeLorean.