FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine won't start

My VIN:    16437

Engine won't start

My engine turns over but won't start. Recently I changed the spark plugs and wires, I had to remove the fuel distributer to get to the distributer cap. When I reconnected everything I made sure I reconnected all the fuel lines correctly and everything else then started the car, which started though it sputtered a bit. I then drove it home (I work on my car at my place of work), and stopped to get pizza. When I attempted to leave the car would not start. The engine turned over but wouldn't start. I've heard about the fuel accumulator giving people issues with hot starting, however I tried to start it repeatedly over a period of a couple hours. I eventually had to get it towed the rest of the way home. Tried to start it again this morning, still wouldn't start; engine turns over but won't start. Any idea what would cause to start once then refuse to start again?

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

As always:
    1. Check there is fuel coming from an injector
    2. Check if you have a spark at a spark plug.

If you have fuel and no spark, check:
    - Power at the resistor pack and coil
    - Distributor cap firmly affixed to the distributor (you have been in there)
    - Fuses of main relay

If no power, check the connections at the resistor pack and to/from the relay next to the resistor pack (there's an inline connector that sometimes disconnects).
    Then check the power to the coil (there should be power at the coil if you have checked the connections at the resistor pack).

If you have no fuel but you have spark, check:
    - Power to the RPM relay, to the pump and check the inertia switch (disconnects the pump in case of a roll-over accident, switch ground is prone to go bad).
    - If the pump works, check if it sucks in fuel and then check the fuel line to the accumulator and distributor for blockage (can be inside the tank too, clogged screen or split pickup hose).

Start with the easy things and work your way down the list.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My VIN:    16437

Thanks, I appreciate it, we'll see how it goes.

Keyword: "Wires"

Since your car started rought, and you just replaced wires,I'm thinking you may have a wire order issue, make sure all your wires are connected correctly.

Levy

Quote Originally Posted by bedhedned View Post
    My engine turns over but won't start. Recently I changed the spark plugs and wires, I had to remove the fuel distributer to get to the distributer cap. When I reconnected everything I made sure I reconnected all the fuel lines correctly and everything else then started the car, which started though it sputtered a bit. I then drove it home (I work on my car at my place of work), and stopped to get pizza. When I attempted to leave the car would not start. The engine turned over but wouldn't start. I've heard about the fuel accumulator giving people issues with hot starting, however I tried to start it repeatedly over a period of a couple hours. I eventually had to get it towed the rest of the way home. Tried to start it again this morning, still wouldn't start; engine turns over but won't start. Any idea what would cause to start once then refuse to start again?

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Taking bets that one or more of the plugs are wired in wrong order to the dizzy......
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Also check your vacuum lines...

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    Taking bets that one or more of the plugs are wired in wrong order to the dizzy......
    But he drove it. My bet is a vacuum line.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

+ 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post

If he drove it, then nothing, what can be wrong on the vacuum side?

I'm good on the electric side but no as good on the vacuum side, what can cause the engine tu run, then not even to start?

Would like to learn a little on that matter.

Levy

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    But he drove it. My bet is a vacuum line.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

The car may run (poorly) with a vacuum leak, but not restart.

I'd guess a line or connection was loose, and upon shuddering while running and driving, it is now worse or completely disconnected.

Several of the lines were either disconnected or manipulated while doing recent work, they are just as suspect as anything else.

He did not mention a glowing cat or a strong smell of gasoline in the exhaust, so it strikes me as less likely two of the wires are swapped, maybe one loose, but two swapped would be pretty severe.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

If the car ran fine at first then the wires are probably connected in the correct order. One of the wires may have come loose from the distributor cap though. I would check all of the spark plug wires to make sure they are snug.

Edit: I just read his post again and realized he said it sputtered. Definitely check to make sure the wires are in the correct order. Also, make sure they are gapped correctly. I believe stock gap is somewhere around .026

If you have a stock ignition and the plugs are gapped too high, the plugs won't be able to reliably ignite fuel.
    Last edited by stevedmc; 10-04-2011 at 10:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast