FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Door Arm Rests....

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Door Arm Rests....

Ok, so I'm looking for tips, info, etc on how the heck to reattach the arm rests on the doors (I wanna smack the engineers around who designed them a bit)....

Its a pain to hold grab handle up and try to line up the holes with the screws...Ive tried a long screwdriver from the ends...and using a small 90 degree driver from above through the button panel..but I just cant get the screw to line up.

Im sure by now, that someone has developed a technique that makes it a less painful experience...hehe.

Thanks.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    3937

You go down through the spot where the mirror switch is (or blank on the passenger side) first and then do the one closest to the door release switch (you have to pull it up slightly to get your socket extension in there straight).

Oh, and yea, use bolts/screws that have hex heads on them so you can use a socket and not a screw driver. This is so you can put a little wad of masking tape scrunched up in the socket. You then stick the end of the hex head bolt into the socket and it'll stay there because of the masking tape. Once you get it started, it will come off just fine from the tape.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

Instead of the "long screwdriver/extension from the front/rear edge of the door" method, there's another trick I learned from this page, which apparently doesn't work anymore (the page, not the trick): http://www.carnutcase.com/Articles/2...emoval-77.aspx

Instead of removing the handle, you an remove the bracket the handle is connected to. It's held on with two M6 bolts (10mm socket), and you can get to them from the top of the door after removing the plastic trim piece under the door release lever. I have some pictures of what it looks like with the handle out here, where I fixed one of the holes was stripped and had to be repaired with a Helicoil (scroll down to "Passenger Door Issues"): http://www.tmproductions.com/repairs...-interior-trim .

I found it a lot easier to take the door apart and reassemble it this way, rather than using super-long extensions from the forward and rear edges of the door like I used to do. Apologies if this is already the method you tried.

-- Joe
    Last edited by jangell; 08-21-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post

Instead of removing the handle, you an remove the bracket the handle is connected to.
    This is how I did it. Much easier.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by jangell View Post
    Instead of the "long screwdriver/extension from the front/rear edge of the door" method, there's another trick I learned from this page, which apparently doesn't work anymore (the page, not the trick): http://www.carnutcase.com/Articles/2...emoval-77.aspx

Instead of removing the handle, you an remove the bracket the handle is connected to. It's held on with two M6 bolts (10mm socket), and you can get to them from the top of the door after removing the plastic trim piece under the door release lever. I have some pictures of what it looks like with the handle out here, where I fixed one of the holes was stripped and had to be repaired with a Helicoil (scroll down to "Passenger Door Issues"): http://www.tmproductions.com/repairs...-interior-trim .

I found it a lot easier to take the door apart and reassemble it this way, rather than using super-long extensions from the forward and rear edges of the door like I used to do. Apologies if this is already the method you tried.

-- Joe
    I thought about doing that... Didnt seem like i can get to them..I'll have a look again

Thanks
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    I thought about doing that... Didnt seem like i can get to them..I'll have a look again

Thanks
    I just did this today to clean out a mouse nest - the guide was really helpful. A wobble extension will help.

I'm not really looking forward to reassembly though

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk