FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: EP90 GL-5 gear oil for steering rack

EP90 GL-5 gear oil for steering rack

Hello,

I'll be replacing my rubber boots on the steering rack of my car #6702 this weekend, and I'm having a hard time finding EP90 GL-5 gear oil. Is there a newer equivalent gear oil that everyone is using? I can get the oil from Millers Classics, but it would take a week for delivery.

Thanks,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DukeNukeIt View Post
    Hello,

I'll be replacing my rubber boots on the steering rack of my car #6702 this weekend, and I'm having a hard time finding EP90 GL-5 gear oil. Is there a newer equivalent gear oil that everyone is using? I can get the oil from Millers Classics, but it would take a week for delivery.

Thanks,

Dave
    80W-90 weight gear oil that meets the Extreme Pressure and GL-5 specs should be fine. It’s a common gear oil, available at any auto parts store. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...0-32/7070233-p

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    80W-90 weight gear oil that meets the Extreme Pressure and GL-5 specs should be fine. It’s a common gear oil, available at any auto parts store. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...0-32/7070233-p
    Thanks, that was what I was going to use, but wasn't quite sure.

The oil won't leak out if you're replacing the boots only, it's sealed in the rack itself. There may/should be some oil in the boot from leaking past the seals a bit over time, but not much. The boots are only to keep dust and dirt out.

Are you going to open the plate on the rack to empty the oil out and change it?

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    The oil won't leak out if you're replacing the boots only, it's sealed in the rack itself. There may/should be some oil in the boot from leaking past the seals a bit over time, but not much. The boots are only to keep dust and dirt out.

Are you going to open the plate on the rack to empty the oil out and change it?
    I pulled the whole rack out. Lots of hard chucks floating around inside the boots. I think i'll play it safe and just replace the whole rack. I already have the tie-rod ends, so I only need the rack.

Thanks!

I pulled the whole rack out. Lots of hard chucks floating around inside the boots. I think i'll play it safe and just replace the whole rack. I already have the tie-rod ends, so I only need the rack.

Thanks!
    My suggestion: Do not buy the repro ones, way to many people stating that they are crap. Send your rack to PJ Grady in Long Island NY as a core and purchase his rebuilt ones or have him rebuild yours. After he rebuilds them, they are better than new and will last a very long time. He rebuilt my rack and it's perfect.

My VIN:    Midproduction

Absolutely agree. The original racks are also rebuildable; new ones are not (planned obsolescence). More importantly, I understand the new ones are sealed (unserviceable). Someone could confirm?

My suggestion: Do not buy the repro ones, way to many people stating that they are crap. Send your rack to PJ Grady in Long Island NY as a core and purchase his rebuilt ones or have him rebuild yours. After he rebuilds them, they are better than new and will last a very long time. He rebuilt my rack and it's perfect.

My VIN:    6125

I also agree.

I rebuilt mine w/ PJ grady parts a few years back and it's still going strong.

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like there are no PJ Grady racks in stock. I can send him mine, but do you know what the turn around time is? What are the problems with the new racks from DMC? Looks like DMC also offers a 5 year warranty, anyone know if the racks last that long?

Thanks for the advice guys. Looks like there are no PJ Grady racks in stock. I can send him mine, but do you know what the turn around time is? What are the problems with the new racks from DMC? Looks like DMC also offers a 5 year warranty, anyone know if the racks last that long?
    The new ones are not rebuildable and from what I’ve heard, do not last long. I would contact Rob at PJ Grady and ask him what the turn around time is. I think (not sure) he sells a DIY kit to rebuild the racks yourself.

Also, don’t go by what his website says, it’s never accurate, not sure it even gets updated. Call and ask if he has them in stock.