FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Symptoms of a bad ignition control module

My VIN:    5625

Symptoms of a bad ignition control module

Just curious -

Would a bad ignition control module in our cars (Bosch 0227100019) exhibit the same symptoms as a bad ignition control module in a newer car?

i.e. engine misfire or engine running rough or failing ignition timing resulting in an engine with a slight misfire?

I've read mostly that the sign of a bad ignition control in a D is either the car wont start, or stalls after warm but will restart when cooled off.

What do you guys think? And anyone have one for sale? I'm looking to get an extra of each of the modules in my car to put away for a rainy day.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    03572

Anything could happen but most often the output transistor fails and then you get no spark at all. Make sure the two pin connector from the distributor pickup coil is clean. That wire is shielded because it's very sensitive to electrical noise.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

While anything is possible, it is very rare that the module is actually the problem. Ignition problems tend to usually be a bad coil (especially if you don't have the original one but someone put a "performance" one on) bad wires, worn spark plugs, bad connections on the ballast resistor, and a bad impulse coil. I wouldn't stock an ignition ECU, plenty of other parts will fail way before that happens! Dirty fuel injectors can cause misfires. Check the spray patterns or just have them cleaned. Try a can of Techron first.
    David Teitelbaum

I second DavidT: - I never had a single bad iginition ECU to repair.

I rad a lot but never ever found that:

"I've read mostly that the sign of a bad ignition control in a D is either the car wont start, or stalls after warm but will restart when cooled off."

I had such a symptom on my other clasic car when the iginotion coil was failing ! COIL !!! NOT ECU !!!