FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: L-seat covers

My VIN:    03572

L-seat covers

They did not sew string into the seams in my seat covers. Should I put the hog ring clamps as in the photo or above the sew seam?
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Pull the skins tight, then install the hog ring to keep it pulled it tight. If there is nothing running along the perimeter of the skin, I'd give the rings more material to "bite" onto to keep it from ripping off if it was just pinching the end of the skin. That said, you don't want the rings to be pulling too hard, because then that will cause them to tear from the skins being under too much force.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

Thanks. I was wondering if they forgot to put the string in it. The OEM covers did have string sewn into those edges. I could stick some wire in those sections but that may be hard to do on the curved sections.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    15275

go to

an upholstery shop and get some of the edge stuff. i believe most of it is plastic nowadays... if you dont put something in there that just puts a big strain on the material in that area.. i have done lots of interior jobs for many cars over the years and always use that stuff....

Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    an upholstery shop and get some of the edge stuff. i believe most of it is plastic nowadays... if you dont put something in there that just puts a big strain on the material in that area.. i have done lots of interior jobs for many cars over the years and always use that stuff....
    Do you know the technical name for that "edge stuff"?
    Dave M vin 03572

I used some ty-wraps to see how the bottom edge flap needed to be clamped. The inside flap is no problem but the outside has a hard time because of the seat tilt mechanism. It's almost like I need to ty-wrap the middle section to keep it from pulling down. But that would maybe show the ty-wrap bulge when the rest of the cover is pulled tight. There is a trim piece that goes over most of that flap but it does not cover the seam area.

I tried feeding some 16 AWG copper buss wire into the seat seams where they need hog rings and could only get about 3 or 4 inches inserted. I thought of another idea is to stick a finishing nail into the seam at every place where it gets clamped. That is unless I can get that plastic clamp stuff.

Also, how did you all measure where to cut for the seat back tilt lever? The OEM seat covers the cut is 2.6 inches from the front seam but it looks like my front seams may not sit right where the OEM covers were. Right now I have that metal lever tilted back by lifting it so it would move off the slot.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 08-30-2020 at 08:03 AM.
    Dave M vin 03572

hi dave

i think its just called edging.. its usually a nylon rope type .. can u just take it out of your old seat skins??? i have done that on a few cars over the years if the new ones dont have it...

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

"Welting" or "piping".

I used stainless fence wire, with a bead glued on one end...

Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    i think its just called edging.. its usually a nylon rope type .. can u just take it out of your old seat skins??? i have done that on a few cars over the years if the new ones dont have it...
    Where they had metal rods, I reused, but the sewn in welting you can not remove and even if you could you could never get it in the finished stitched edges. I looked on the internet for that plastic edging and the only type I could find is the type you sew on.
    Dave M vin 03572

hhhmmmm

you might just have to go to an upholstery shop and ask if they can sell u some....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast