FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: L-seat covers

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

I just received my LSeat order too, in tan, but reading from the post, I choose to ask the upholstery shop to install them instead. They will do other parts as well so.

Because of all the useful information and details instructions, I decided to try installing L-Seat cover. 0F4E7D01-6B19-46DF-911C-4727BBE77159.jpg
    Attached Images

Here is what a Delorean seat in tan color looks like. The stitching colour is ivory.

They were hard to put on the seat, even by adding leather conditioner ... and because it was the first time I tackle with upholstery thing. We learn all kind of stuff by owning such a car. And thanks to this community, it makes that possible.
    Even if it’s not perfect.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    03572

My seat release back levers are pointed to the back. I thought that was stock but maybe not.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    My seat release back levers are pointed to the back. I thought that was stock but maybe not.
    No sorry, I think I installed it the wrong way.

There that is corrected.

Maybe the last two messages should be move to mod. However they contain L-Seat
    Attached Images

I started recovering the passenger seat. This one seems to be more of a problem in that It takes much more work to stretch it. I had done the first one outside and temps were higher so that may be the difference since I doing this one inside. I'm using a lot of ty-wraps to help pull it.

I also would use a smaller hog ring in the headrest or ty-wraps may be better since that would pull it tighter. There is not much pull in that area. I did see my local hardware store had 3/4" and 1/2" hog rings and better looking hog ring pliers. The first seat bottom also was not very tight so I would use the smaller rings there also.

I may wait for another sunny hot day to finish that back part. What I do is pull with the ty-wraps then push the cover where it sits on the foam and pull the ty-wraps tighter.

Also on this one I did put one of those grocery plastic bags over the head rest and that really made it easy pulling the new skins over it. When it's on you just pull the bag to rip off any extra.
    Dave M vin 03572

This second seat cover the ribs in the back section were to long. I guess someone messed up when they made the cover. The other set was fine. That is the sewn fabric with the plastic rib you hog ring through the slots in the foam.

You can check your by measuring the OEM cover and your new ones before starting but probably this was a one time error.
    Dave M vin 03572

Ok thanks, I ´ll measure the passenger seat fabric. I do hope they are the same length. I have not started recovering the passenger seat yet, as my hands was hurting, and got blistered with all the effort of recovering the driver seat!

It is quite a task and I don’t have much the necessary tool and skill to do that. The backing should be easy with an electric stapler gun. But I am taking my time; I am probably going to start working on the other seat next week.

Have a pleasant weekend all, and take care.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Ok thanks, I ´ll measure the passenger seat fabric. I do hope they are the same length. I have not started recovering the passenger seat yet, as my hands was hurting, and got blistered with all the effort of recovering the driver seat!

It is quite a task and I don’t have much the necessary tool and skill to do that. The backing should be easy with an electric stapler gun. But I am taking my time; I am probably going to start working on the other seat next week.

Have a pleasant weekend all, and take care.
    Agreed. Doing the covers is like doing isometric exercise do to the constant pulling and maneuvering to do the hog rings.

I did buy an air powered stapler and 3/16" staples and will see how that works on the back boards.
    Dave M vin 03572

This is how much foam you need to cut off. Not that it matters because you don't see the shorter sides but I wonder if this is only a problem with the L-seat covers. You can't pull that edge down because there is nothing to attach to.

The 14 gauge fence wire works great. I put it in the top (back of head rest) after the cover was installed over the seat. You just make a small cut in one end. The back sides also were done after cover is on the foam. The small curve at the top was no problem bending the wire as you push it in.

The only major thing I guess with all the covers is making that cut for seat back release lever. It has to be done before you pull that side tight so you have to measure your best guess and make the cut before it's pulled tight.
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast