FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Overfilling aut. transmission

My VIN:    10207

Question Overfilling aut. transmission

Hi guys,

I changed the engine oil and filter, final drive oil, and transmission oil, filter and gasket yesterday. I was unsure about the amount of oil going into the automatic transmission, as it looked like the workshop manual says 6L, but it actually only seemed to accept around 2-2.5 L.

Checking today it looks like I've overfilled it. Engine cold and on level ground I get oil above the "HOT" mark on the dipstick.

How bad a problem is that?

As in: Can I go a planned 500km round trip before fixing it or is that a definite no-go? (I have no idea what, if anything, happens in a transmission with too much oil in it.)
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Overfilling will cause the spinning parts to aerate/foam the fluid. A no-go.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The level is supposed to be checked hot, engine running. Follow the procedure in the Workshop Manual to check the level. If it is over-filled it can leak a lot.
    David Teitelbaum

Ok thanks

Thanks for the replies, I'm gonna hit up my mechanic again.
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.

Question Still mystified

Ok, so I went to the mechanics place again this morning, drained the transmission oil through the drain plug, put in a new crushable copper washer, and put 1.75 L Dextron II in it (Not 1.89 L as specified in the workshop manual.) I went home on that and let the car sit for 8+ hours. Still looks overfilled on the dipstick...
    DSC_0069.jpg
    Would anyone care to tell me what I'm misunderstanding here?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

You say the car sat for 8 hours before you checked so it is a little unclear - are you checking when the engine is off or engine running?
    -----Dan B.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWin View Post
    Would anyone care to tell me what I'm misunderstanding here?
    See post #3. It’s supposed to be checked while hot, engine running. You’re checking it cold.

Lightbulb Damn it!

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    See post #3. It’s supposed to be checked while hot, engine running. You’re checking it cold.
    Also - I may be an idiot - BRB, I'll be in the garage...

Arrow Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    You say the car sat for 8 hours before you checked so it is a little unclear - are you checking when the engine is off or engine running?
    Engine off.

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Did you cycle it through the gears while running to make sure the torque converter etc... was filled?

Also at the risk of sounding stupid, you did wipe the dipstick clean and then take the reading (sorry had to ask).
    James Russell-Grant
    VIN# 5462 Grey Automatic, Purchased in January 2000
    www.printsolid.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast