FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wiring the window switches right?

My VIN:    10207

Question Wiring the window switches right?

So I got around to mounting the anodised bracket under the window switches and realised something as I was testing the function after replacing them: They are inverted. That is, pressing the down arrow on the drivers side raises the window and pressing the up arrow lowers the window. On the passenger side it is inverted.

I'd like to have them function the same way.

But before I start hacking into things, I'd like to hear if anyone can tell me if they are supposed to work inverted to each other or if it's a genuine fault I've found? And also, some ideas about the (most) proper way to sort it out?

Cheers - any help appreciated!

DSC_0065.jpg
    DSC_0066.jpg
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.
    VIN 10207 - December '81, Gray Interior, 3-speed automatic, stock PRV engine.

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DrWin View Post
    So I got around to mounting the anodised bracket under the window switches and realised something as I was testing the function after replacing them: They are inverted. That is, pressing the down arrow on the drivers side raises the window and pressing the up arrow lowers the window. On the passenger side it is inverted.

I'd like to have them function the same way.

But before I start hacking into things, I'd like to hear if anyone can tell me if they are supposed to work inverted to each other or if it's a genuine fault I've found? And also, some ideas about the (most) proper way to sort it out?

Cheers - any help appreciated!

DSC_0065.jpg
    DSC_0066.jpg
    Pull the switch out, turn it upside down, reinstall switch. Fixed! You may need to file a notch off the side, but it’s easier than ripping the door panels out.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DrWin View Post
    But before I start hacking into things, I'd like to hear if anyone can tell me if they are supposed to work inverted to each other or if it's a genuine fault I've found?
    The window switches both normally act in the same orientation.

There is no lettering on the switches showing "up" or "down" glass movement. While the switches look simple and elegant this is sometimes confusing to new passengers - and new owners, too.

The standard switch orientation: Press the upper (rear) toggle to raise the window and vice versa.

As already noted, the switches can easily be installed in either orientation.

Extra note: Because of the limited space for wires beneath these switches and because of the stiffness of the wires you may need to move/bend the wires close to a switch in order for the switch to fit firmly and at the correct angle to match the other switches and blanks in that assembly. This "crooked window switch" problem is common but is easily fixed. It may be worse after reversing a switch orientation.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    6125

So which orientation for the switches is actually correct?

On my DeLorean if you push the switch towards the front of the car matching the downward slope of the switch, the window goes down. If you press towards the rear of the car, sloping up, the window goes up. Seems to make sense that that would be the correct way since that is how the switch is angled. I always seem to mess it up though because when you're actually sitting in the car, down is more forward than down, and my brain registers pointing forward as making the windows go up. It took me years to finally get used to the switches being set up this way.

I used to drive an 87 IROC with similar window switch configuration except the switches were perfectly horizontal and not angled like on the DeLorean. Forward was up, and rearward was down.

Cool But?!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Pull the switch out, turn it upside down, reinstall switch. Fixed! You may need to file a notch off the side, but it’s easier than ripping the door panels out.
    What if I want to rip the door panels out?
    Please excuse the crudity of this DeLorean as I didn't have time to repair it yet.

Lightbulb Alignment

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The window switches both normally act in the same orientation.

There is no lettering on the switches showing "up" or "down" glass movement. While the switches look simple and elegant this is sometimes confusing to new passengers - and new owners, too.

The standard switch orientation: Press the upper (rear) toggle to raise the window and vice versa.

As already noted, the switches can easily be installed in either orientation.

Extra note: Because of the limited space for wires beneath these switches and because of the stiffness of the wires you may need to move/bend the wires close to a switch in order for the switch to fit firmly and at the correct angle to match the other switches and blanks in that assembly. This "crooked window switch" problem is common but is easily fixed. It may be worse after reversing a switch orientation.
    I find that alignment is much easier with this one installed:
    https://www.deloreango.com/dk/consol...ate-black.html

When you state that standard switch orientation is for both switches to operate in the same direction, I suppose that means something is wired wrong on my car. Do you know / want to opine on whether I can/should fix this by moving wires around at the site of the switch or inside the door (or someplace else)?

Cool Agree, also ouch...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

On my DeLorean if you push the switch towards the front of the car matching the downward slope of the switch, the window goes down. If you press towards the rear of the car, sloping up, the window goes up. Seems to make sense that that would be the correct way since that is how the switch is angled. I always seem to mess it up though because when you're actually sitting in the car, down is more forward than down, and my brain registers pointing forward as making the windows go up. It took me years to finally get used to the switches being set up this way.

I used to drive an 87 IROC with similar window switch configuration except the switches were perfectly horizontal and not angled like on the DeLorean. Forward was up, and rearward was down.

Totally agree that it makes sense - also, I can see where you'd get in trouble from having to cars with a setup that's inverted from each other. Negative reinforcement is gonna give you a bad time...

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The switches on my car operate the way your 87 IROC did. And I remember it the same way... up towards the front of the car and down by pushing towards the rear of the car. I agree it's confusing, but so too are a lot of new cars when you get in them the first time. I had a C class Mercedes years ago and felt those window switches were opposite to intuition.

For the OP, my switches both operate the same direction. I can't seem to find a picture handy of the wires underneath for you though. I too have that MattAligner strip and it's a good product.

Here is the windows wiring schematic:

Windows.jpg

I wonder if the two wires going to the windows got connected backwards? This would not be that hard to do if your car has had the window motors replaced at some time and the replacements necessitated cutting off the connectors. When I did my driver's side one a couple seasons ago, you had to modify the connector it came with and reterminate those two wires. Easy enough for you to change if you feel like it. Just decide which direction you like the switches to operate in and then go in on the opposite door and switch the two wires on the one you don't.

IMG_5795.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    03572

I have had one daily driver work opposite from another. I like the push forward to put the windows down. That follows my pilot training when you push the stick forward to go down.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I have had one daily driver work opposite from another. I like the push forward to put the windows down. That follows my pilot training when you push the stick forward to go down.
    Sounds like my settings for inverting the Y-axis when I play Call of Duty ...or X-Wing vs Tie Fighter back in the day.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast